question about how silver reads on detectors

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
based on my previous post about no silver in miami,

i'd like to hear some feedback from you guys on how silver coins show up on your detectors versus the same coin in clad.

example, hows a silver roosevelt dime show up on your display versus a clad dime? a silver quarter versus a silver quarter?

does a silver coin show up higher than its clad counterpart?

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they will come up virtually the same. You won't see much or any variation in VDI numbers or icon appearance. The only way to realistically tell the difference is in the tone, however, you will need a lot of experience digging silver to notice the minute difference.

My advice is, just keep plugging away and sooner or later that silver disk will be staring back at you out of its hole. (it took me years to find my first silver roosie, and it felt good knowing that all my hard work payed off)

HH
-GC

Gypsy huntress

Aug 10, 2007
West Palm Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
White XL Pro; Minelab Excalibur; Garrett Infinium; Garrett 250; Fisher CZ-3D; Tesoro Silver Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using my White's 6000 pro, which is an analog, silver will peg right in the middle of that coin range. But I dig any coin in the dime and up range. Now the different types of pennies have a greater range over my meter.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is more conductive than clad and on most detectors it will read higher. There are guys that will only dig the higher tones or VDI numbers. Alot too depends on the detector set up and the ground minerals. Best way to tell is to lay a clad and a silver dime down on ground with no metals and check them at different settings.

Your finds will inprove if you overlap the sweeps and don't swing the coil like a grass whip and keep it level at all times. The field goes down in a V shape into the ground. If your coil is at the top of the V, the tiny area at the bottom is all that is covered. So overlapping covers more deeper area at the bottom of the field.

good luck

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Silver absolutely makes a better signal on my XLT! A clad dime will often ring in the mid 70's, silver always in the 80's. A clad quarter may ring as low as 84, silver 87 or above. Never found a clad half, so I can't compare, but the silvers sing out!

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
on my explorer the silver will read clear to the upper right corner and newer ones read a little more to the left of silver.
Same way with pennies.New ones are in the middle of the screen at the top and indian heads read to far right in the middle.Wheaties seem to read clear at the to to the right just a bit higher than new ones...

OP
OP
re-tek

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
well found my two first silvers this week. a roosevelt and a quarter. both about 3 feet from each other but found on different days.

my readings where just 1 or 2 higher than average on clad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions