question about Missouri

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
I am very new to the fossil world but I got the bug now. My question is that I see that alot of states just east and south of missouri people find shark teeth. Is there any place here in Mo that was covered by sea? and a possibility of finding shark teeth in Missouri? Thanks for any info. Good luck all... JYD...

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We find them in OK also, I would PM Mamabear, she collects in MO, she might know.

Fossis...............

LanceHall

Feb 8, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
I would highly suggest getting some geologic maps for your area because certain geologic formations (layers) are more fossiliferous than others. Also some fossils are found preserved more often in one layer and not another. This way you can directly target certain things.

After procurring maps you need to do some Internet searches about the local formations so you can see what layer is best for what. If you go to the public library or preferably the local university library and search the old geologic literature you are sure to find a boat load of papers about the local geology and paleontology with collecting localities mentioned. Also don't skip the Thesis collections and use the university library to access JSTOR which has the entire Journal of Paleontology digitized (a clever person can download the PDFs to their thumb drive).

This is the best way to quickly jump up to a higher level of fossil hunter and will pay off greatly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions