Question about my Ben

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first started CRHing, I would immediately clean all of my silver finds with vinegar, salt, and an eraser. Even a big pink eraser so I could clean inbetween the reeded edges of every coin. I don't clean them anymore for obvious reasons. Out of all of my half dollar finds, I've only found one walker and two bens ever. The rest are all Kennedys. This is one of them, and it happens to be the nicest coin I've ever pulled out of a roll. I'm so glad I decided to never clean it, because I think I might have something here, (or not.) My question is: about what grade do you think it is, and also the coin seems to be in excellent shape except for the date "1963." I'm not an expert numismatist, but is this some kind of minting error? The date appears to be smashed or something. It's really evident in the "9" of 1963. Thanks for your help!
benobv.jpg benrev.jpg
PS it looks a lot cleaner in person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's definately real nice, though probrably worth a small premium over melt, if any.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not have any clue on how to even remotely attempt grading a coin but it does look good. Hopefully someone here can give your an unofficial estimate. I found a 1964 JFK yesterday that almost looks uncirculated. I'm trying to find out why people think as well.

Attachments

• image-3642231107.jpg
    image-3642231107.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 82

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
username and streetwalker - they are junk silver and only worth melt. When a collector can buy the same coins in the original mint packaging for melt, why would you think a circulated find of the same date would earn a premium over melt?

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
username and streetwalker - they are junk silver and only worth melt. When a collector can buy the same coins in the original mint packaging for melt, why would you think a circulated find of the same date would earn a premium over melt?

Sorry guys, but I concur with this opinion

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was buying bulk silver I used to get a lot of pristine 1964's, insinuating that they are not worth anything over melt. However someday they will be as all the junk silver starts to get more and more worn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread