PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question About My White's MXT & False Signals

I spent today at an old mill site using my new MXT. This mill was built in the 1830's and hasn't been gone over that I know of since it is on private property and close to a mile walk through the woods.

I had 3 different solid hits today for a quarter. I did the 90 degree turn and checked and they still showed as a quarter. The pinpointer showed all 3 different targets at being between 7 and 10 inches deep. I dug holes roughlhy 2 feet across and 2 feet deep, big enough to fit the coil in the hole and swing a little and on all 3 holes it kept giving a solid hit for a quarter. With the pinpointer trigger, it would say 0 inches and overload about halfway down into the hole(roughly 1 foot deep). Never found anything in any of the 3 different holes and kept getting a solid quarter hit running it over them.

Any ideas?

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What happens is that the targets you found where BIG targets and where still in the ground when you checked. When the detector says 10 inches and after 10inches you still find nothing and after getting a strong signal than they are big deep targets... Next time if you take your time to dig a deeper hole you will find what is there to find...

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Btw overload is synonymous of big....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the Quarter on the meter is only an indication to the conductivity and not what it really is.

OP
OP
PoplarHill

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

I tried both of my coils on all 3 digs. Same results. It gave a good hit all in the hole. When I say it overloaded, it only did that with the pinpointer trigger pulled once I had it about a foot in. I'll try digging some more next time I am down there and see what I come up with.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO It's likely a LARGE piece of Iron Deep (of course).
but
It could be a Large jar of Silver or Lot's of gold Coins.
Also could be Trash Pit's You never Know.
Good Luck.

Maybe you figured it out by now. Hope So.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO It's likely a LARGE piece of Iron Deep (of course).
but
It could be a Large jar of Silver or Lot's of gold Coins.
Also could be Trash Pit's You never Know.
Good Luck.

Maybe you figured it out by now. Hope So.

It's LARGE iron! If it were a cache of gold/silver coins it would have to be milk can size. It's HUGE iron! Stop digging!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread