Question about procedure

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been there this long ...or not.
Start a five year plan with no expectations beyond a nice vacation.
Study the site until then and look for possibilities of , caretaking,renting,leasing,buying,performing work on the site.
Study prior to your visit to find the site is under what laws , and what authority it remains under ;as well as laws pertaining to treasure or relics.
Not worth you or an associate getting caught ,but the potential penalties can be considered greater than any recovery.
Legal defense ,where allowed , can eat up all you can get a hold of ; even if you are in the right........

Steady personality and mild but serious interest in the potential recovery of an artifact(s) may be of interest to a local museum.
Excited sure fire treasure tales sell better than getting a sponsor to risk capital does.

For your more *personal* approach I'm not apologetic in stating that to inspire or encourage a pirate approach is not going to be a suggestion from me.
Besides the morality and illegality issues...plus suggesting not in the detecting code of ethics... you or an associate may not find the risk worth the reward.

Any one you give your info will be able to do whatever they want with it ...right?

Worse case... your solve is left to your imagination as to if it is tangible on located site still.
Not the worst thing to dwell on sometimes, just not all the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ErikEso

Greenie
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Property of an 18th Century Pirate". How many pirates do you think were operating in 1900-1999?
Maybe in the Indian Ocean which is half a world away. So this cache is now in Somalia? But it
somehow exists as a puzzle to solve? Captain Phillips doesn't think so.

The 18th century went from January First 1701 and ended in the December Thirty First 1800
Edit: also don't assume where i am from, anywhere can be the other side of the world.
yup

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ErikEso: Another place you can get a lot more such legends and lore, is to get yourself a bunch of back-issues of 1970s treasure magazines. Each edition was packed full of "lost mine" and "stolen military payroll loot". All kinds of exciting stories. Fun reading. Some even had cryptograms.

Then then author would throw in a few faded newspaper clippings, plus a drawing of a miner posed next to his burro (or the pirate with the parrot on his shoulder) , then ... by golly, it MUST be true. Throw in a few " ... it has been said that .... ", and how can you dispute it ? A friend of mine even sent in one of those that got accepted for publication. Entirely made up, but fun reading. We wondered if anyone ever really went looking for it ?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Property of an 18th Century Pirate". How many pirates do you think were operating in 1900-1999?
Maybe in the Indian Ocean which is half a world away. So this cache is now in Somalia? But it
somehow exists as a puzzle to solve? Captain Phillips doesn't think so.

As the others have said, you are 200 years off. Today it is 2016 and we are int the 21st century. The 18th century was during the 1700s. It used to confuse me too, but think of it like this: The FIRST century was the first 100 years of the calendar, so 0 - 99 was 1st century. 100 to 199 was 2nd, and so forth and so on.

OP
OP
E

ErikEso

Greenie
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
releventchair: thank you for your words.i wil keep my mind open about ways on how to properly proceed about this. But surely wont let it consume me too much.
Nor will i do anything ilegal :)

Tom_in_CA: i am sure you are correct, but this has been around longer than the 70s and there are some ppl with a certain cultural weight also talking about it.
All that makes me think this one may be legit. Also the encryption and the language used..etc.
Only time will tell :)
Thank you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... this has been around longer than the 70s....

Correct. And all the much longer for the telephone game to have been incorporated.

... and there are some ppl with a certain cultural weight also talking about it.
All that makes me think this one may be legit....

Well, sure. But did you ever hear of a treasure story where the persons "talking about it" weren't carrying "cultural weight" ? :icon_scratch: Ie.: Ever hear of a treasure legend that were from downright un-reliable sources/persons ? Of course not. EVERY treasure-legend comes from reliable sources and persons who must "most certainly be in-the-know".

Last edited:

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HHmmm. A sure thing half way around the world. Wish you well. So how much do you need?

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the others have said, you are 200 years off. Today it is 2016 and we are int the 21st century. The 18th century was during the 1700s. It used to confuse me too, but think of it like this: The FIRST century was the first 100 years of the calendar, so 0 - 99 was 1st century. 100 to 199 was 2nd, and so forth and so on.
While the period 1900-1999 is of course a century, as is any period of 100 years, it is incorrect to label it the 20th century, which began January 1, 1901, and will end on December 31, 2000. Only then will the third millennium of our era begin.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the period 1900-1999 is of course a century, as is any period of 100 years, it is incorrect to label it the 20th century, which began January 1, 1901, and will end on December 31, 2000. Only then will the third millennium of our era begin.

I didn't create the convention, it's been around for far longer than we have been alive! It is what it is.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, check out my today's signature.:laughing7:
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread