Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok first of let me say ...I DO NOT HUNT WRECKS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.....I have often wondered after reading stories about how hard it is to get salvage rights to a found wreck and how it seems (to me who has no knowledge how it works) that once a claim is made many others can also set claim to your find ....my question is what is stopping a person from finding a wreck collection any treasure on board an not claiming it so they dont have to split it with any one,I know this would probly be unethical an very much frowned apon but does it happen ? And what is really stopping this from happening ?

just questions from a land luber lol :icon_thumleft:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm sure it happens, but get caught just once and see what happens next. funny how fast that slow moving beauracracy gets when it thinks it has been cheated.

I think after a claim has been made there should be protection from the governing body until salvage has been completed. also there should be time limits on how long granting a salvage permit takes, this would discourage thieves and help keep all of the artifacts together.

if the governing body wishes to keep the artifacts together and not sold it should fairly compensate the finder/salvor. there are alot of ways to offset costs and the end result would be a more harmonious
relationship between the arhaeologists and treasure hunters.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
In Texas the state Technically Owns everything In under on the Beaches and the Waters controlled by the State... Thats why you have to be careful where you detect on the beaches here, some spots they get touchy about more then others...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Most people wouldn't do it because it is probably illegal. Some people seem to 'get over that hurdle' until they are told the consequences of being caught.
Others do it because they think they can outwit the authorities. Obviously, none of these treasure hunter 'wannabees' have ever seen, much less experienced, the inside of a foreign jail cell.
Don.......

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: thanks guys it was a thought I had an you guys did great answering it.

HH Tank

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Tank69 said:
ok first of let me say ...I DO NOT HUNT WRECKS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.....I have often wondered after reading stories about how hard it is to get salvage rights to a found wreck and how it seems (to me who has no knowledge how it works) that once a claim is made many others can also set claim to your find ....my question is what is stopping a person from finding a wreck collection any treasure on board an not claiming it so they dont have to split it with any one,I know this would probly be unethical an very much frowned apon but does it happen ? And what is really stopping this from happening ?

Any treasure hunter worth his salt should follow Robert Sténuit's* checklist:

1. Find reliable information about a valuable cargo shipped in a particular vessel that sunk;

2. Make sure that the cargo was actually loaded on that particular vessel;

3. Make sure that the ship did sink (beached ships were invariably salvaged);

4. Make sure that the cargo was not unloaded on a port before the shipwreck took place;

5. Make sure that the cargo was not saved (transhipped) right before the shipwreck;

6. Make sure that the cargo was not jettisoned right before the shipwreck;

7. Make sure that the cargo was not salvaged immediately after the shipwreck;

8. Make sure that the cargo was not salvaged at a later date;

9. Make sure that time did not damage the cargo;

10. Make sure there are no claims on the shipwreck or its cargo;

11. Make sure he has precise data to narrow the place where the shipwreck occurred;

12. Find the shipwreck (often the most difficult part);

13. Make sure that he actually found that particular shipwreck;

14. If he ever finds anything, make sure that the cargo is not spilled over too large an area;

15. Make sure that treasure hunting is legal, or at least that the local authorities are cooperative;

16. Make sure the country in whose waters the shipwreck lays is politically stable;

17. Make sure he has all the necessary means to salvage a substantial part of the cargo;

18. Make sure he gets away with destroying, or abandoning all non valuable items, which consume time and money, and are not accepted for sale by most auction houses;

19. Make sure he has safe port to disembark the cargo;

20. Make sure he has a good lawyer;

21. Make sure he has not spent by now much more money than he can make with the sale of valuable artifacts.

in "L'or à la tonne, L'exploitation des trésors englouties" (Grenoble: Glénat, 1990)

* the only treasure hunter I admire :)

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Hello, Alexandre I am sure with years of work you have met many not too desirable people let us hope that not only Stenuit impresses you and over time you meet more professional people in historical recovery. (legal) Life is short enough, there can be a balance, this forum is a start. Nice to see you posting.All the best.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
OldGold1974 said:
Hello, Alexandre I am sure with years of work you have met many not too desirable people let us hope that not only Stenuit impresses you and over time you meet more professional people in historical recovery. (legal) Life is short enough, there can be a balance, this forum is a start. Nice to see you posting.All the best.

Hey Oldgold, there are some TH's out there that I like.

But I only admire one: Sténuit. :)

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ahhhh but Alexandre, Stenuit is a treasure hunter. What do you think about Frank Goddio?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions