Question about silver proofs.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm getting ready to sell another load of 40% halves. I think I'm going to buy some gold this time instead of more 90%. I have a couple of silver proofs from '69 and '70 that are 40%. Should I just go ahead and toss them in with the others, or sell them seperately if they carry any premium? The proofs are circulated and have little to no cameo. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could ebay 'em if it's worth the extra effort for a few extra bucks. I always keep the best coin of every year I have

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEEP KEEP KEEP!!! I only have one silver proof, 1969-s, I kept it and will always keep it :)

OP
OP
crhstreetwalker

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the advice guys. 1 more question: I have about $100 in clad proofs and gold plated bicentennials, should I cash those in or hold on to them? They are all in circulated condition, which the exception of some being in AU-MS condition. Thanks.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice guys. 1 more question: I have about $100 in clad proofs and gold plated bicentennials, should I cash those in or hold on to them? They are all in circulated condition, which the exception of some being in AU-MS condition. Thanks.

As for the proofs and gold plated halves, some folks have been able to sell these for small premiums, and others have been unable to give them away. You'll just have to try it and see for yourself. They might sell, they might not. There's only one way to find out, and you can always cash them in if they don't sell. Nothing to lose except a little time and trouble. Is it worth the effort? You'll have to decide that for yourself.

As for the '69 and '70 proofs, you could probably get "a buck or two" more for these than the normal everyday 40%ers. Is the additional time and trouble to do so worth it for a couple of bucks? Only you can answer that.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am more of a collector and save all proofs and gold plated, even in bad condition.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have stacks upon stacks of clad proofs. They mostly all go back into the trash pile and back to the bank now. I have the best clad proof of each year held back for a book, so I rotate crappy ones out if I find a nicer one in the wild. Mostly though, they go back.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was under the understanding that 1970 halves were worth a Little over melt.

The '70 D is worth more than the '70 proof. I believe they minted fewer of them. The 1970 D Kennedy half is the key coin in the Kennedy series. However, once you get into the 90% silver proofs it's another ballgame.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
The '70 D is worth more than the '70 proof. I believe they minted fewer of them. The 1970 D Kennedy half is the key coin in the Kennedy series. However, once you get into the 90% silver proofs it's another ballgame.

This is true only for mint state, Uncirculated coins. You are gonna be hard pressed getting a premium over melt for a beat up 1970, S or D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread