Teller handed me a barber

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to pick up two boxes of halves today, and I bought all the loose ($19.50 worth) and rolled (7 rolls) halves they had as well. The rolled halves were actually mine from about a year ago :laughing7: doesn't seem like there are a lot of people around here searching halves! Anyways, the loose halves contained 3 40%ers. I love those random finds. now even if my boxes are skunk I still made out.

Now things got even better. I picked up my paycheck from work and went to my main bank to cash it. There's a nice new young teller that works there, she doesn't mind ordering my two boxes a week at all. As I walk up, I get the infamous "oh hey, I've saved something for you!" gotta love hearing that. She drops a 1909 barber in my hand. I really couldn't believe it, especially after my tray finds earlier in the day. I go to god only knows how many banks every week and I never have any tray finds.

Now things get bad. I think the barber is fake. It doesn't give that nice silver ding, it's more like a dull thud. Also the metal seems slightly too dark gray. All in all it just looks off. Oh well, still a neat coin

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just weight it, or look at the details in the lettering... Or the magnet test <--- easiest.

If it's fake, call the secret service on that bank. they just dealt you illegal currency. do it. I'll do it if you don't :P

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be cooler to have a known fake than a real one.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
In rolls, I have found several kennedy halfs made of lead over the past few months. They are exact replicas, so must have been made with a mold. Maybe someone did the same with a barber, although I am not sure why they would go to the trouble.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it could be lead. I'm going to do a density at work on monday and that will let me know for sure. I will try to post a pic soon too

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
For awhile, there were many Chinese counterfeits seen on Ebay. You could even order them without the word "copy". I'm sure many make it into circulation.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unfortunately I think you're right, there are a lot of fakes out there

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
We found a fake Walker.

It looked like lead toughened up with some antimony, tin or something.

Keep on Rollin' !

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find, if the teller does not pick out a half dollar from 1909, chances are they do not care or know about CRH. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread