Question about the Bounty Hunters (metal detector ).

R

robert roy

Just curious what it is about the Bounty Hunter Metal Detectors that so many people like.
How many people tried other name brand detectors and then switched back to BH? If so what
name brand detectors did you have and why did you switch? The only BH I am familiar with are the very cheap low end ones at WalMart. Would appreciate everyones feedback.(:-)

Robert R

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
i dont like them.
i like more modern ones likes garrets.
i dont like the dials on them.
i dont like them because i dont and they confuse me.
if ur looking for a good beginners get a garrets 250
or like a minelab some say.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the quick draw II has knobs and is a bit easier to "dail in" for rougher areas --by using just a cracking on the power sen/sen knob and slowing uping the disc -- it can be "adjusted" until its stable in ,any cases --- but of course it loses some depth & everything under the stable "discrimation" point ---- now the ace 250 knocks things out by "blocks" or groups when you discrimate -- so by using only 2 bars of power / sen and "adjusting" it it maybe be usible in tough areas --- while they may not be the best machines for the 10% rough areas ---they can often be usedin the rough areas this way --- only use enough to settle the machines "beeping " or "chatter" down -- rule of thumb on discrimation is "the more you use the more you lose." -- so only use whats needed to stablize the machine --unless your doing a focused type hunt -- ie you don't want relics then cut out iron with the 250 notch it out / with the BH up the disc till you no longer pick up iron --- BH users old timers trick--- to check that you do not cut out gold --- carry a gold ring or nickle -- if you can pick up the ring or nickle most gold objects are still findible. --- to find your "maximum disc mark sweet spot"--using the ring or nickle slowly up then disc till the nickle or ring "dissappers" and can no longer be "picked up"---now back it off till it rings up again --- using a dab of white nail polish mark the spot next where the spot is on the dail.
good luck ---Ivan

OP
OP
R

robert roy

Nick and Ivan:

Thas ok Nick. I have an Ace and an MXT. Have used it mainly for coin and relic hunting. I live in an area where ground is relative stable. Not much by way of heavy mineralization.

Ivan: are you talking about a higher end BH? WHen you say "10% rough areas" are you refering to mineralization?

>>>>"the more you use the more you lose." <<<< Were you refering to sensitivity or discrimination?

I've never used a BH so I know nothing about their preformance. I would say though, as I did in another post, location is everything when buying an MD. Some machines preform poorly in one area while another machine tears the plaxce up!(:-).

Robert R

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior
Bh lonestar is a great machine i love mine ive found clad and iron of course its got very good disc and you can manipulate it easily,but i dont like the no depth detection

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I was speaking of discrimation -- it basically "discrimanation" tell the machine to "ignore" stuff -- in areas with bad minerals you might have to up it quite a bit to smooth out your machine and get it to "ignore" the high mineral contained in the soil which it "sees" as "metal" -- however only use the bare amount of discrimation needed to stablize it as the higher your discrimation goes the more you cut out metals wize -- yes the 10% "rough" areas are the high mineral areas and wet salt beaches and such ---if you getting a lot of falsing -- first try lowering the power /sen levels and thus not "over powering" ( using too much power for the soil conditions) if that doesn't work try uppiing the disc level slightly --between those two it can often make the machines usible ( at least somewhat )-- and while a bounty hunter might not the best or ideal choice machine to hunt these "hard areas"with often you gotta go with what you have on hand or can afford -- Ivan

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I have only used BH. I started with a really cheap radio shack one like 7 years ago or so. I am now the proud owner of the BH - Quicksilver. It's a good deal for $149 that I paid for it. It usually finds the target perfectly and I rarely miss finding something. If your just starting out, this is a good inexpensive one to play with.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I've used Bounty Hunters for many years, and still do. I also use and have used other detectors over the years. But my main detector is still a Bounty Hunter. I have used most of the brands and all are good detectors. I hasve found coins with all of them. Bounty Hunter pioneered and patented most of the features we now enjoy on most metal detectors back in the 80's. Whether you like knobs(analog), or digital, makes no difference. The main thing is to get to know and understand your detector, which ever brand you use. I will say that I have found more jewelry with my Bounty Hunter than all the other detectors I have used. I would take their notch system over any I have used. If you hunt trashy areas (parks, playgrounds,schools), a bounty Hunter will find targets other detectors discriminate out. JMHO

Brett2259

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
I bought the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 at Walmart this January. It works wonderfully. I am amazed how easy it is to use and discovering more on how it works as I detect. I looked at all the ads and pictures of the other Metal Detectors and it looks so confusing with the graphs and VLP....this thing, that thing....ugh!

I will stick with the easy knob/screen/depth/indicator that is my greatest find....my Bounty Hunter.

izzitcat

May 13, 2008
Louisville,Ky.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger/White's Classic5ID
My wife bought me a BH Land Ranger in 2001 from Kellyco (no plug intended) online and I've never had one bit of trouble. It's accurate and has phenomenal depth. However in some soils yuo might have to ground balance quite a bit and for that reason I bought a Whites Classic 5ID simply because sometimes I want to grab and go it's simple accurate and no ground balance but you do give up a lot of bells and whistles that you have on your BH. Hope this helps a little

Izzitcat

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
treasureace13 said:
objection!its garrets or one of those whites prism that r really easy.

Lies the garrett and whites are much more confusing to a beginner. With a BH all you do is turn it on and detect, simple as that, auto setting, gotta love it.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Bounty Hunter offers some models that are cheaper than any other American made detectors, so they get more limited budget people into the hobby.

Bounty Hunter detectors are pretty easy to use, but the models under $250-300 don't have non-motion pinpoint, which I prefer.

There is very little learning curve compared to some other detectors. They can usually be run on full sensitivity without being unstable. They may not air test as impressively as some other detectors, but beep about as far in the ground as in the air & can usually ID correctly close to the maximum detection depth.

The optional coil are less expensive as well. HH, George (MN)

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
George (MN) said:
Bounty Hunter offers some models that are cheaper than any other American made detectors, so they get more limited budget people into the hobby.

Bounty Hunter detectors are pretty easy to use, but the models under $250-300 don't have non-motion pinpoint, which I prefer.

There is very little learning curve compared to some other detectors. They can usually be run on full sensitivity without being unstable. They may not air test as impressively as some other detectors, but beep about as far in the ground as in the air & can usually ID correctly close to the maximum detection depth.

The optional coil are less expensive as well. HH, George (MN)

For the models without pinpoint built in, swing it over a target in an X pattern. To correctly find the exact location.

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
Everybody has an opinion and its great that everyone gives them.
But at no time is it OK to insult someone in an open forum.
This is a family site
Treasureace13 ( 13 year old boy ) was just giving his opinion and what might be confusing to one person
will be easier for another.
Please try and be polite.

Hope Santa brings you an upgrade.
Merry Christmas.

Bill

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Love my BH's...

Started with BH sold it and went with Garrett ACE250...Sorry folks ace250 is the most overhyped machine around IMHO...

Went back to BH and continue to enjoy the hobby finding everything under the sun (er-um dirt... ;D)...

The most USER FRIENDLY machine around is a BH,

Nick
Nick, what BH do you have?

mikesand

Feb 5, 2007
SE bucks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
BH Lonestar/ BH Pinpointer
Teknetics Liberator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for what it's worth, i have a BH lonestar and i have found everything from a VW hubcap to a silver rosie and i am itching to get out again and burn up some more 9V, lol.
HH
mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread