Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just wondering how effective the machine is without the remote, just using the headset controls? can the headset do enough to get by on? I understand that you have to have the remote to be able to update and to do specialized programs. I am trying to figure out if the additional cost for the remote is worth it to me for where I live and am able to hunt here in western Ark. I totally like the wireless aspect and then the weight factor for an older person with lower back issues. thanks for any input

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes on the headphones alone, you can always get the remote later and I would recommend it, you may actually do better without the remote by not looking at the numbers and just digging the tones you hear. I may try this come spring, not mounting the remote on the detector. The pre-programed programs will about cover every site you come across, but tweaking or making your own programs is the icing on the cake with the DEUS. The weight, or lack of, is incredible, I have a bad shoulder and my ATP would limit me to about 4 hours, the DEUS I can go all day long.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bite the bullet and get the remote, you will probably get a better deal this way, than buying later. Plus you can store all your programs and fine tune the machine settings to your liking.

SS

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get the remote WITH the Deus, its cheaper than buying it alone. Its like $100 cheaper with the package.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Yo DL... You know I got a Deus, you should have PM'd me... I have a mad amount of insight into this kind of stuff. (JK)

Without the remote, you don't get a VDI number, some people say that the Deus' numbers are not that good anyway and that you should dig all the good sounds. I kinda agree (especially deeper targets). I like the remote because it gives a number, as well as it is easy to switch between programs. You could get by without it, but I much prefer the remote. I know that money can be an issue, however, they recently dropped the price... and a used one might be available at a good price.

If you are able to get one, I think that you will like it. The Earth's lightest detector! I came from an AT Pro, between the lighter weight and the wirelessness... it is like a whole new hobby... WAY better.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks Tom, with the lower back, 3-4 hours are about it. Bart's has a great deal really but it is a gigantic step for me. I do appreciate your help, just didn't want to bother you too much. I try to research as much as I can and am able before I make any sort of major purchase. I also don't want to acquire something that I would struggle to understand how to use. (I mainly have a smart phone for the bigger letters to text my deaf daughter). simpler is better for the most part.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks Tom, with the lower back, 3-4 hours are about it. Bart's has a great deal really but it is a gigantic step for me. I do appreciate your help, just didn't want to bother you too much. I try to research as much as I can and am able before I make any sort of major purchase. I also don't want to acquire something that I would struggle to understand how to use. (I mainly have a smart phone for the bigger letters to text my deaf daughter). simpler is better for the most part.

You are never a bother. I am glad to share what little (very little) knowledge I do have.

There is a little learning curve when you switch machines. It takes a few hunts to get used to the new sounds. The first time out, I was baffled and found a bunch of bottlecaps, but after a few hunts, I started to understand the new language, then I was off and running. I found 50 silver coins in 6 months using "Basic 1"... the first program that comes up when you turn the machine on. It is really easy to use. It can do a lot of things, if you want it to, but if not, turn it on and go.

I know that money can be an issue too, and it's not like they cost $200, but there are deals to be had out there.

If you need me, don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I understand that back east and north, the old coins and relics can be difficult to pick out, especially with the old iron nails and such and this can call for some very specific programming or fine tuning. I know that Crusader loves his as do many others. Guess I will be selling a few things to soften the ouch! thanks again my friend, Jerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread