Question?? coins, orientation and sinkrate

S

sportfisher411

This question is to all, Is there a particular way in which your coins are situated when you find them? ie. horizontal, verticle or at another degree of rotation. Im just interested to see if the sink rate for a verticle coin is faster than a horizontal coin. Just think if they do sink faster then there are alot of deep, nice finds to be had.

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Thanks George, my take on it is that there is frost heaving but no significant upward movement with coinage. My experience and observation has to do with target indications on late winter frozen ground versus target indications in spring and summer. It appears that at the top of the soil, nearest the surface the freezing contracts and compacts the root matrix and grass improving target detection and identification.

In a nearby park I have noticed some targets will be easily signalled and id'd but come back in spring, when the saturation re-inflates those top couple inches and the summer when growth has also lifted the surface up, it's nearly impossible to find the same targets. The frost heaving takes place deeper than the top couple inches and in northern Canada and the arctic circle produces pingos, small mounds and hills resulting from large scale frost heaving. USDA, NIST, Transportation and others who have access to our tax dollars have done extensive studies on fluid dynamics and the effects of frost heaving and I'm sure some of their studies are available online.

Right back at ya f2D!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George,

You're correct in stating that 'wet/saturated' ground helps us to better find/id coins in the spring. It's also true for anytime of year in any season as long as water comes into play (even in winter in frozen climates due to thawing/melting during certain times, but, the problem there is, you can't dig in the frozen ground!). But to futher clarify, even in mid summer just after a good long rain, you?not only can dig in the ground much easier, but also, you will notice the conductivity of coins, relics and all metals increase by 10 to 20% or more. This gives opportunity to find targets that normally we'd pass over during dryer times. The magnetic fields around targets increases when water enters the equation thus allowing the conductivity to raise, which allows our detectors to better see/read what's under the coil! The legnth of time an object has been in the ground has a lot to do with how much of a magnetic field has built up around it too. That's why a freshly buried coin for instance, at 9 inches in a test garden will not be picked up by a lot of detectors (but) a coin that has been in the ground for say 50 yrs or so at the same 9 inches, will be picked up by most (especially when the ground is wet)!

OP
OP
S

sportfisher411

You guys have come through once again with a wealth of knowledge. I suppose that alot of you guys are right depending on where you live. I lived in Houston for about 8 years, never had more than 1-2 days of freezing temps at a time. When I was a kid up until 8th grade I lived in the far north of California, @ about 5000'. The ground there would freeze pretty deep. I do remember finding artifacts on our property from a logging operation years before,it seemed that stuff would be uncovered due to rain or be pushed up out of the dirt by frost. Thank you all for your vigorous responce!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread