question for mods

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The sheep reference mostly used here Is based on the two basic things. In the bible ,most of the sacrifices to God were sheep, hence a sacraficial animal. The second thing is the nature of the sheep to follow, hence follow without thinking. The sheep will follow the Judas goat to the slaughter without thinking. So, the term sheeple evolved.
Being a realist, I see things as they are, but I also see them as they should be.
Being old, I see things as they were, so I can see the change far better than someone younger that has not experienced the past.
I do not like repeating mistakes or evolving downward!
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but to understand it you must examine it's basis.

Just my opinion, Frank...
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ladies and gentlemen, I am posting a clip out of an article I found on the net. Apparently all of this sheep discussion is POLITICAL! :)
QUOTE: "Sheep numbers tanked even faster 20 years ago when Congress ended subsidies for sheep ranchers with the repeal of the National Wool Act in 1993. The removal of those subsidies sent the sheep industry into wild market swings and stayed volatile for years. The increased risk, Anderson says, pushed many ranchers out of business."
So, there you have it!! :)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look, here's what I find so curious about all of this sheep usage. Every time the word "sheep" is used as a metaphor it is, in fact, either used as an attack or an insult on a group, doesn't matter who that group is what the topic is. Point is, depending solely on one's own "opinion" this metaphor is being directed at nearly everyone at some point, even by those who only toss it around on occasion. I mean, let's face it, we are all products of the lives we have lived and chosen to live, products of the social environments we thrive in. None of us are truly "original in our beliefs" even though we sometimes think we are. No bur, no insult taken, not bitter in any way, just curious as to why so many people think they're so different then anyone else to the point that they would use such a ridiculously silly metaphor such as, "sheep" when in fact "we are all sheep to something?" For this reason I just don't get the logic in the use of this particular metaphor? Makes no sense in any way shape or form, really. :dontknow:

"Makes no sense in any way shape or form, really." You explain it well .... and then it makes no sense to you????? I totally GET the metaphor and it's used because it's so easy to understand and apply. And I do believe some of us have had an original thoughts outside of our social environment.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Makes no sense in any way shape or form, really." You explain it well .... and then it makes no sense to you????? I totally GET the metaphor and it's used because it's so easy to understand and apply. And I do believe some of us have had an original thoughts outside of our social environment.

"Usually" the use of these metaphors, as we've just seen with "lemming"..simply comes from sources who are unknowingly saying..."I are one too." Metaphors being used in the context discussed here are simply being used as a means to establish a wide ranging attack on the freedom of opposing opinion and belief, or what can't be understood. Makes no sense at all, or perfect sense, depending on one's sense of reason, to use metaphors that can be applied to "any" faction or group of the opposing sense of reason. Every time one applies a generalized metaphor in such a way then that individual is doing "exactly" the type of mass stereotyping they so strongly oppose. It's really quite a curious thing, indeed. But we can debate such things all day to no avail. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer being the sheep that manages to avoid the slaughter or the lemming that refuses to jump. The more PC we get, the less likely folks will know which flock to join.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the sheep I perfer to be..

9u9umu7a.jpg

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thus is the sheep I perfer to be..

9u9umu7a.jpg

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Why is it alone? Where's the herd! :laughing7: Now see, that is an individual sheep speaking for himself. :thumbsup:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Is that father time or you frank ? :laughing7:

Mike

To be Frank about it, there's not much difference. lol Frank...
111-2 700.jpg

Actually, it's a self portrait from Da Vinci's sketch book that I 'colorized'.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank' sometimes friends have ask if i remember when dirt was born...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet you can't pull the wool over his eyes! :laughing7:

On second thought, in this day and age, maybe you can? If you get my drift. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread