Question for TonyinCT, or anyone else....

jeffinflint

Feb 10, 2007
Sometime this summer I am going to be buying a back up detector. I currently use an MXT, which I love. But, I want another detector for those casual days of light hunting at the local parks. I was looking at the M6. It seems similar to the MXT, with various tones. However, on the hot summer days of casual hunting, I don’t like to use headphones. On my MXT, I can control the target volume with the “gain” control. The M6 doesn’t have a “gain” control, or a “threshold” control. Are you stuck always using headphones with the M6? Also, how do you control the “threshold”? Other than those things, it looks like it would be a great detector. I am really leaning towards the Vaquero, it seems to fit my needs pretty good, but I have always like the Whites’ machines. I am still open-minded and researching. Until there is a major major leap in technology, my MXT will be my main go-to machine.

thanks all, Jeff in Flint, MI

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
One thing to consider is the change in "headphone" technology. You can now buy earbuds that have better frequency response than the older, bigger, cup type headphones. The only disadvantage I can see is using them in the wind. I haven't tried them in those conditions but they may not be as good as the cup type but for a nice day in the park, they would certainly work and the adapter to make them fit is cheap. Not much weight or bulk with them.

Daryl

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Gain and threshold have nothing to do with volume. Gain makes the detector more sensative to targets by boosting the power of the detector. The threshold sets a point at which the detector is optimized for better (deeper) target response. The Vaquero would be an excellent back up detector.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Most of the headphones heavily promoted for detecting are around the ear types. On the ear types should feel a little cooler & the ones I like are the Koss KTX-PRO1 about $20-30 with lifetime warranty. They have a single in-line volume control & are very lightweight. The KTX-PRO is a different model with no volume control. HH, George (MN)

Peak190

Apr 23, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212x,Deleon ,Cibola,Tejon,Cortez,MXT,GTI2500
Get a Tesoro Tejon ,Vaq , Cortes or Deleon and you wont be dissapointed, In fact your MXT will probably will collecting dust in the closet in no time.

D

Doctor Detroit

I would think not using head phones would attract attention to yourself and would attract lots of kids. Maybe attract the wrong kind of people too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread