Question from a newbie

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been digging in the stream recently and just had a question for those who spend most of their time underwater.

When dredging do you focus on straightaways in the river where the gold line is crossing from inside bend to inside bend?

Or do you prefer to dredge on the inside bends?

Any other tips regarding how you dredge and your approach is welcome.
I know "miners make bedrock" and that all rivers are different, but any general info would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Calgeo

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Inside bends and underwater obstructions, boulder fields, but a paystreak can be midstream. You do realize it is still illegal in Cali?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're digging in the stream, then I assume the water level is low enough to access the bottom with a shovel. In shallow water Finding a productive paystreak is the same whether you are dredging or digging. Test sampling is always recommended for finding that elusive streak. Of course the best place to start is on the line between the bends and test across both sides of the line until you find the most color, then work your way along that line.

As Terry said, working the inside bends, boulder fields, and underwater obstructions is prudent along with working the cracks in the bedrock that are also natural traps for gold.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Inside bends and underwater obstructions, boulder fields, but a paystreak can be midstream. You do realize it is still illegal in Cali?

Thanks for the help. The river is really shallow and I can dig to the bottom with my shovel. Im looking for the larger pieces of gold and digging inside the river has produced the results im looking for. certain places im in 6 feet of water and digging into a sunken bucket. Its worth the effort in my book and it just more fun.

And yes im fully aware that motorized dredging is still not legal. Sluicing works just fine for me :icon_thumleft:. Just wanted a different perspective from those who spend time under the water like im starting to do.

Cheers,
Calgeo

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi CalGeologist, I saw a YouTube video where a prospector tied light weights (nugget size) to balloons (on a one or more foot string) and put them in the river. Where the balloons stopped is likely where the Gold would stop. Seamed to make sense to me. Also makes sense to watch where the "Bubbles" or and "foam" might concentrate.

Just an Idea

MinerGirl

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions