moderator_icon.gif
Hoser John
Fri May-25-12 12:59 PM
Member since May 06th 1995
4280 posts

#15559, "Sierra Fund Celebrates"

Breaking News from The Sierra Fund

May 24, 2012

SACRAMENTO – Two legislative budget subcommittees acted yesterday to ensure that suction dredge gold mining in California's rivers will not be allowed to resume until rules are in place that protect the waterways from environmental degradation.

The Assembly and Senate Budget Subcommittees that oversee the budget of the CA Department of Fish and Game both acted on Wednesday May 23 to clarify the status of suction dredge mining regulation in the state.

Both committees agreed on the need to clarify language from the Resources Omnibus Trailer Bill passed in 2011. That bill included a directive to place a moratorium on suction dredge mining until the Department had created and adopted regulations that did not permit suction dredge mining that had significant environmental impacts – but this language included an arbitrary “sunset clause” that would allow suction dredge mining to resume in 2016 whether or not these conditions were met.

Yesterday, the Assembly Budget Subcommittee #3 on Resources & Transportation adopted specific language that struck the “sunset clause” timeline provision. It also directed the following activity:

-- read more here --

Dear reader: Our cutting edge advocacy work, like our work in the Capital yesterday, is funded almost exclusively by individuals like you. We can't do this without you. Please consider making a donation to support this work now, by clicking the button below.

Think we're doing great work? Donate securely today.

Join TSF's fans on Facebook

....and Twitter

CAN YA'ALL FEEL THE LOVE NOW?????? NO TONS A AU 2 US EVER-JOHN

devil.gif
angry.gif
devil.gif

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I THINK IT IS TIME TO TAKE A PAGE FROM HISTORY BOOK. EVERYONE GO OUT ON A PLANNED DATE AND PULL A "GHANDI SIT IN STRIKE" AND MAKE SALT (DREDGE FOR GOLD) ANY WAY. OR PUT THEIR DREDGE ON A TRAILER OR IN THEIR PICKUP AND DRIVE IN CIRCLE AROUND EVERY COURT HOUSE AND FEDERAL BUILDING IN THE STATE FOR ONE DAY. MAYBE THEY WOULD GET THE IDEA OF HOW BIG THE GOLD BUSINESS IS IN AND FOR CALIFORIA. COULD GET SOME MEDIA ATTENTION.
:BangHead:
MIKEL

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More BS, Hoser, can't say I'm surprised. Figured something like that was amalgamating behind our backs. :angry5:
Did you read the whole press release halfway down or so... the specific proposed language being added. A conglomerate of angencies to control and regulate dredging (or pretty much putting an end to it ).
Swelll, just what we needed.

Breakthrough on Suction Dredge Mining Reform

SACRAMENTO, 24 May 2012 –

Two legislative budget subcommittees acted yesterday to ensure that suction dredge gold mining in California's rivers will not be allowed to resume until rules are in place that protect the waterways from environmental degradation.

The Assembly and Senate Budget Subcommittees that oversee the budget of the CA Department of Fish and Game both acted on Wednesday May 23 to clarify the status of suction dredge mining regulation in the state.

Both committees agreed on the need to clarify language from the Resources Omnibus Trailer Bill passed in 2011. That bill included a directive to place a moratorium on suction dredge mining until the Department had created and adopted regulations that did not permit suction dredge mining that had significant environmental impacts – but this language included an arbitrary “sunset clause” that would allow suction dredge mining to resume in 2016 whether or not these conditions were met.

Yesterday, the Assembly Budget Subcommittee #3 on Resources & Transportation adopted specific language that struck the “sunset clause” timeline provision. It also directed the following activity:

The Department shall consult with other agencies as necessary, including but not necessarily limited to, the State Water Resources Control Board, the Department of Public Health, and the Native American Heritage commission, and report back to the Legislature with recommendations as to any additional statutory changes or authorities that may be necessary to develop suction dredge regulations… including mitigation of all identified significant environmental impacts and a fee structure that will fully cover all program costs.

This vote-only item passed the Committee on a 3 - 2 vote. The Senate Budget Subcommittee #2 on Resources & Transportation took similar action about an hour later. The item passed unanimously on a 3 - 0 vote.Advocates for reform of suction dredge mining to ensure better protection of the environment, public health, cultural sites and fish expressed relief that action to clarify last year’s trailer bill has been taken. A sign-on letter with fishing, tribal and conservation advocates was circulated in support of this action the day before the hearings.

“We hope that this will allow all agencies with a role in regulating the impacts of suction dredge mining, as well as land-owning agencies where miners operate, to weigh in on the state’s suction dredge mining program,” commented Elizabeth “Izzy” Martin, The Sierra Fund CEO who has been working to resolve this issue in the State Capitol for the last several months.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What disturbs me the most about this all out attack on suction
dredging in California is that I have yet to see any legitimate
credible evidence to support the premise of egregious harm to
the environment wherein suction dredging is implemented .
Seems like it has just turned into " we say , they say " politics .
Once you get groups of sycophants , such as the sierra club ,
hobnobbing with other groups of sycophants, such as politicians,
you end up in a place where no true hard facts on the matter need
apply . The facts are simply whatever they say they are and the
people who get rectally violated by their findings should embrace
the wisdom of their divine insertion . Thank you sir may I have
another . It's a damn shame .

Hillbillybjopkr1

Apr 2, 2012
Montague. Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold King double sluce with 3"-4" setup's. homemade frame and pontoons
Primary Interest:
Other
The legislators of this state are going to in a sence regulate everything out of exsistance. In the printed version of the Siskiyou Daily News front page is a article about State Bill 1221. Proposed by State Sen. Ted Leiu (D-Torrance). The bill will outlaw all hunting with hounds/dogs within the state of California!!!!! I am flat sick to god damned death of these IDIOTS from southern California and the Bay area runnin our lives.....and I am sick to damn death of our local represenatives not being able/willing to do anything about it. There is another thing in the works that i just caught a blip of the other day on the local news on the raido...CDFG is proposing a bill that would impose a $20'000 fine per individual animal "affected" by any activity in or around a waterway.....or something to that affect.

Prospectormike....I have sudgested doing that...a "Occupy Klamath" if you will.....a whole tassel of us with our dredges in the water together. everythime i have sudgested it, it seemed to be shot down. maybe someday ppl will realize that talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words....in the meantime the powers that be will just keep taking away everything we love about the unique area we live in!!!!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
What disturbs me the most about this all out attack on suction
dredging in California is that I have yet to see any legitimate
credible evidence to support the premise of egregious harm to
the environment wherein suction dredging is implemented .
Seems like it has just turned into " we say , they say " politics .
Once you get groups of sycophants , such as the sierra club ,
hobnobbing with other groups of sycophants, such as politicians,
you end up in a place where no true hard facts on the matter need
apply . The facts are simply whatever they say they are and the
people who get rectally violated by their findings should embrace
the wisdom of their divine insertion . Thank you sir may I have
another . It's a damn shame .

Liberals don't need facts, they just need intent, regardless if their intent eventually accomplishes the exact opposite, they will continue the quest. You must remember this is almost like religion to these nut cases

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, When the Sierra Club gets Calif. to Stop Sucking this Lake Dry... Owens (Dry) Lake, California Then I MIGHT read something they write!

Really??! Its Okay to completely ruin the Desert but you can't dredge for gold? It's not like you're stealing water. Lived through these Human Created Dust storms Many times!

Signed, A Desert Rat...MinerGirl

P.S....To the Sierra Clubbers..."......."

Last edited:

Hillbillybjopkr1

Apr 2, 2012
Montague. Calif
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
there's no Coho salmon in the desert....so they don't give two hoots about it

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Here in the gold country we have no salmon above Nimbus dam on the American river and all the gold is above that anyway, so why cant we dredge in rivers and streams with no salmon, its obvious the salmon are not the concern, its gotten to be a pissing match, no evidence salmon are being harmed where their are salmon anyway. Return recreational dredging now!!!!

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here in the gold country we have no salmon above Nimbus dam on the American river and all the gold is above that anyway, so why cant we dredge in rivers and streams with no salmon, its obvious the salmon are not the concern, its gotten to be a pissing match, no evidence salmon are being harmed where their are salmon anyway. Return recreational dredging now!!!!

Aaaaaaaamen GW.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
It is all about CONTROl. And damn those that live for it. Nuff said.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'M JUST WONDERING..... I DON'T EAT SALMON... DOES IT COST MORE THAN $1600.00 PER OUNCE?
IF NOT, ITS JUST A CASE OF SIMPLE ECONOMICS. RIGHT? :dontknow:

MIKEL

Hillbillybjopkr1

Apr 2, 2012
Montague. Calif
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'M JUST WONDERING..... I DON'T EAT SALMON... DOES IT COST MORE THAN $1600.00 PER OUNCE?
IF NOT, ITS JUST A CASE OF SIMPLE ECONOMICS. RIGHT? :dontknow:

MIKEL

if it was only that simple

does anyone know..or has anyone heard the outcome of todays hearing with PLP in San Bernidino yet? am DYING to find out

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
SIERRA CLUB PUSHES FOR MORE HEAVY METALS IN STREAMS

BREAKING NEWS.....NEWS FLASH.....BREAKING NEWS
30 May 2012

The Sierra Club has begun an agenda to allow HEAVY METALS in California streams thereby placing humans and wildlife at risk. Scientifically proven to harm humans, aquatic life and wildlife; heavy metals have been classified as hazardous contaminants for over 50 years yet the Sierra Club has promoted legislation to prohibit local prospectors from removing the heaviest of all metals; gold; from California streams along with platinum and other "black sands" that are inedible and extremely toxic if ingested in sufficient quantity.

Prospectors had been removing these heavy metals for over 150 years thereby cleaning our streams of these toxins until the Sierra Club recently lobbied legislators to prohibit the process known as suction dredging; preferring instead to allow these metals to accumulate in the streams once again.

When asked about the moratorium placed upon suction dredging, lifetime outdoorsman and environmental advocate H.Charles Beil responded, "I'd be afraid to eat the fish out of these streams today, you just don't know if they are safe with all of these heavy metals once again in our streams."

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
if it was only that simple

does anyone know..or has anyone heard the outcome of todays hearing with PLP in San Bernidino yet? am DYING to find out

Suction Dredge Hearing May 31, 2012

The courts are still attempting to consolidate all of the case into one. The enviros want it in Alameda County and the PLP attorney, the State and McCracken are attempting to get it heard in San Bernardino.

PLP use a 170.6 to recuse Judge Roesh, he is no longer hearing the dredging cases. All but one case was put in the hands of Judge Grillo. Judge Grillo knows nothing about the case and Judge Alverez in San Bernardino know more than any other Judge in the state.

Th consolidation of all the dredging case is in the hands of the Judicial Council in Oakland and they will decide if the cases are going to be heard in Oakland or San Bernardino. The committee meets in June to decide.

Our hearing to day was postponed until June 28th so we could hear what the Councils decision is for all of the cases. The state attorney wanted to put the hearing for Judge Alverez until the end of Aug. But David Young said to the Judge, all of these people behind me ( about 25 miners) are clients and there are many that couldn't make it and they rely on suction dredging for a living or to supplement their income for food, medicines and fuel for their families, so we would appreciate shorter time frame to be heard.

The Judge said he was not going to put it off tile the end of Aug and set the date for June the 28th. The hearing on the 28th will not be a decision hearing it is only a telephonic update update for the judge on where the case will be heard. If it is in his court he will set another hearing date to start hearing all of the cases.

We will keep the mining community advised on when and where thing as are going to happen

Thanks for all of the support from the miners that showed up and those who couldn't make it but encouraged us with their good wishes. I think that it made a difference to the court that there was moral support there.

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At the rate it is going, we might-maybe-could have a decision before the 2016 lift of the dredge moratorium, IF the Sac. Legislators don't change that clause and create more hurdles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when donkeys fly and chickens talk legal dredging will return--till then do what ya can live with and f the rest-John

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In light of Yesterdays Feds decision, have to agree. Forget all state level cases and legislative with Feds taking over.
Didn't see that coming makes you wonder what else maybe lurking out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions