QUESTION - mMax Tesoro Conquistador

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Re: QUESTION - Just Bought a Tesoro Conquistador

I was watching that detector and then you snatched it away! Darn that buy it now! I read about it a little on the net. To me it looks like a Silver Sabre but with a threshold adjustment. Should be able to pick up deep or small targets with the threshold hum. Good luck!

srd1941

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Central WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Badger
I picked one up a few weeks ago. I saw the one you got on Ebay, terific deal. The one I got was minus the original coil so I mounted an 8 inch round brown coil on it. It runs a bit too positive for the ground around here. It may be the coil or it may just be the preset ground balance. At any rate with the threshold feature I should be able to adjust it if I can determine which pot to adjust. They are a really nice detector, I'm sure you're going to like it. Let us know how the GB is for your soil.
Stan

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
khouse, sorry to mess up your deal but sooner or later someone else would have taken it at that low price. If it would have gone to a regular bid the final price would of been something like $200 or more.

srd1941, all these Tesoros can be ground balanced by internal tuning. I have the directions to ground balance the original Silver Sabre but not the mMax (yet anyway). The man to check with on here and on other forums is Monty. Monty is an absolute authority when it comes to Tesoro detectors. If he gives you the directions please come back and PM them to me. But my experience here in northern Michigan is that factory presets work very well. You can also send your mMax into Tesoro with a small bag of your dirt and they will adjust your machine free.

Badger

R

robert roy

What did the detector end up selling for?
I've heard that even the OLD silver Sabers are just as good.
Robert R

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
robert roy said:
What did the detector end up selling for?
I've heard that even the OLD silver Sabers are just as good.
Robert R

I bought the Conquistador mMax BUY-IT-NOW for $150 which is about $75 less than it's worth in mint.

But when you consider a new Silver uMax is $239 and it lacks many of the features of the Conquistador such as a true 9x8 web coil, etc., the Conquistador was an awesome deal. Even at $250 it's a much better buy than a new Silver uMax.

And as far as the original owner warrentee goes Tesoro is so loose with these that's not really even an issue. I once had a Sabre II I bought used that had a broken case and Tesoro was going to put a new case on it for me if I returned it to them. But I sold it instead. Man, you can't beat Tesoro!

Really, with their warranty and appreciation for their customers, every Tesoro is worth twice the asking price.

Badger

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one, paid 200 bucks for it from a nice guy on TNET. I believe the Conquistador was discontinued for the Cibola.......pin point is different........I love mine and will never part with it.....It is very much like the Silver UMAX, it discriminates great........light, easy on the batteries........and mine goes pretty deep too.

Great deal!!!!!!!!!!!

Write a review!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jorge del norte said:
I use one, paid 200 bucks for it from a nice guy on TNET. I believe the Conquistador was discontinued for the Cibola.......pin point is different........I love mine and will never part with it.....It is very much like the Silver UMAX, it discriminates great........light, easy on the batteries........and mine goes pretty deep too.

Great deal!!!!!!!!!!!

Write a review!

The Conquistador mMax (not uMax) is still being sold new (in stock yet).
http://www.metaldetector.cc/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=26

There are some minor differences between the Conquistador mMax and Conquistador uMax (most recent model).

The Silver uMax, on the other hand, lacks the ability to adjust the threshold and has a coil that's a couple inches shallower than the web coil on the Conquistadors. That concentric web coil Tesoro makes is a winner and Tesoro knows it. The last time I chatted with Mr. Gifford he mentioned that Tesoro was thinking seriously about designing a 12x10 concentric coil for the "HOT" machines. Trust me, that 12x10 is one awesome coil and Tesoro knows that also.

The DD coils have serious problems. They're great for some areas but bad for super trashy sites. Loads of great finds are being missed by DD coils due to target masking. They cover more ground area but lose a lot of depth in the process. And too, the DD is not as good as a concentric coil when it comes to target separation in extreme trashy areas.

The stock concentric coil on the Silver is great for coins down to about 5-6 inches. The web concentric coil on the Conquistador is good for coins down to about 8-9 inches (the same as the DeLeon).

Put a web coil on the Silver and it would be the same as the Conquistador. All Tesoros get close to the same depth if fitted with the same coil. The thing that separates them is adjustable ground balance such as the Tejon. But this is only a possible advantage in bad soil. And too, the whole discussion about preset ground balance and adjustable is much more complex than is usually presented on forums.

I've written that a preset is basically an adjustable ground balance detector without a knob. That's really an extreme oversimplification and is partly true at best. But really it's much more complex than that with many variables. I'll leave the explanation of that to those who didn't skip as many classes as I did in school.

Badger

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow yours must be really small..........mine is small enough..... ???

http://www.tesoro.com/ConquistadorMicroMax_Manual.htm

i thought they were the same........
i still like it even if it's not the same...I guess!
i checked your site the link....says....

"The Tesoro Conquistador metal detector is SOLD OUT and has been replaced with the Tesoro Cibola metal detector."

happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread