question on 2 quarters

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a couple odd quarters last night, thought I'd ask if they were anything worth looking into. First is a 1971 with an odd bump in the middle. You can tell where the highs as worn. It's right in the middle of the coin and protrudes out both sides.

quarter - bump 1.JPG
quarter - bump 2.JPG

2nd is just a Delaware quarter, but it's striped on both sides. I tried to rub it off but it's there. It's not grooved. Lines run the same direction on both sides. I can't find anything about it online.

quarter - striped.JPG

Thanks

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the first one has been in a fire. Can't really see much on the second one.
HH
Enamel7

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
With so much pmd that goes on with a coin some are hard to tell. I don't feel like either coin in question is an error. As always though this is my personal opinion

OP
OP
TheMcs

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enamel7 is right about the 1st, found some pictures online.

rachums107

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
the deleware quarter is, I beleive, an example of what is called "improper annealing". I think it has something to do with the copper and nickel being made into planchlets. for some reason, the two metals did not mix right, (or something like that) which created the horizontal lines you see. common on copper pennies, we call them 'woodies"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread