Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

This past weekend, I was going through some nickels I had purchased in order to fill my Whitman's books. Anyhow, while searching through them, i came across an odd 1996 D Nickel. The D is actually filled with a hunk 'o' gunk. It's a metal blob in the D. At first, I thought it might be common, so I kept on searching until I found three other 96 D's. I compared them to the one that is filled, and sure enough..... the other ones didn't look like this one at all.

I can scan a pic later if you need to see it. I was just curious if anyone out there had heard of this particular coin, or if filled markings are common?

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Others will be along to share their thoughts. I've seen quite a few more recent coins with filled letters especially on the mint mark. I think it is due to so many being banged out by the same die that we see more of these "blobs" on the coin from these small die breaks. That being said it would only cost you a nickel to hang onto it but I don't think there is a premium for this error.

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input on this. I have to admit, when I saw this, I didn't get overly excited. I actually thought the same basic thing that you just stated. I'm sure this is not a unique item. I am happy to have found it. Fills in my collection nicely!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sometimes is from a die chip or grease. Good eyes though. No major premium.

HH
Gib

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread