Your thoughts on state quarters

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Yes, I have a collection of them but I do believe they are overrated!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't collect them but I think Texas needed more than the state and star, lack of imagination or history. Alaska ranks at the top.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, My Thoughts.

They are worth .25 each.

and I have a whole set.
it is worth $12.50

100 Years from now

the book they are in, may be worth a Quarter
as I Believe the Quarters will have rotted away by then :wink:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about over-rated, however it is an inexpensive way to get kids interested in collecting coins as opposed to the new presidential dollar coins. The youth collecting today will be the ones who will buy your collection tommorow.
On a side note, is there a list of errors anywhere? That seems to be where the premium values lie.
Scott

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree with Daddytopcap. The future value of our collections depends, in part, on future demand; and that future demand will come from today's youth. Therefore, it's most beneficial to introduce kids to coin collecting today and get them 'hooked', just as we have been for years. The State Quarters collection has rejuvenated the hobby of coin collecting; thankfully.
Don.....

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
they are really annoying to dig up when you are trying to search for silver quarters and silver rings/jewerly. ;D

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started to collect them, then stopped. Some are good and other, well.......... Without looking at them I can't tell you which ones I like or dislike ::)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, you make me laugh. But I believe you are right in the book being worth more than the quarters. :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collected a set of them just for the heck of it. I and another forum member have been swapping mint marks for the past two years. The only one I lack is the last one Hiwaii "P" mint mark.. I bet I get one before long. It was fun collecting and I don't care if they are ever worth anything, they are neat to look at. Monty

S

seger98

I don't collect them as I don't believe there will be any value to them in the long run!

Ugliest.............. Wyoming

Neatest............ There's a few so I flipped a coin & it landed on North Dakota with the buffalos!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I have a complete collection of them...In a few years, the collection will still be worth $12.50, but I thought that the designs were pretty awesome on a coin.

The best design would be Alaska and I think that the worst design is for Wyoming. It is nothing more than a shadow of the history that occurred in that state.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I collected the silver proofs and really like them. They were not collected as an investment vehicle. They will not be sold but passed on. I did however hoard the clad state quarters. Certain years/states have gone up dramatically due to demand. I won't be selling the mint sewn bags any time soon.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Fun to collect with mint marks and such. ;D

But, just a fun thing; sure not in it because
I think the value is going to grow. ;D :wink:

all have a good un.
SHERMANVILLE

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
i just bought a Coin World's - Coin Values magazine this week has an article on coins of our
founding fathers - colonials
it has a price guide for all U.S. Coins Delaware 1999S Clad Proof 70DC 700.00
" " 1999S Silver Proof 70DC 400.00

over rated ? ya, i'd say just a little bit good for the kids though :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jimmy@romega

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
While back I seen a state quarter on ebay go for around 5,000 no joke. I don't remember what that was all about but it was pf70. May have been some rare error coin.

Favorites: south dakota, kentucky, tennessee, georgia (of couse), pretty much most of them

Least favorite: wyoming, seems like whoever done that one just dreamed one up in 2 minutes.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pretty much am in line with most of the posts here. I think they are a good way to get kids interested in the hobby and I've helped my Godson put together his collection. I don't recall which was the most or least attractive but I do remember looking at some real dogs while helping him with his collection. I don't think we'll ever see much of an increase in value, excepting the silver proofs.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also starated collecting the presidential dollars but soon lost interest. I've been giving the ones I have to my grandkids as birthday presents, etc. Monty

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of the Presidential dollar coins, I'm aware of some of the errors-like no wording on the rims or doubling of the lettering, but does anyone have a list of the dollar coin errors in addition to the state quarter errors?
Scott

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
I have the entire set...I believe they may go up a bit...once they're done, they're done...just like the bicentennial ones...it definitely brought people into the hobby...
Baggins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread