Question on buying someones dumped halves.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
:icon_scratch: Here is the problem. Everyone says to buy ALL the rolls they have at a bank if you ask for rolls brought in by customers and the bank has them.
Today I asked and the teller said she didn't but, when she asked another teller she said she did. The first teller came back and asked me how much I wanted. Of course, I said how much do you have? She said $850.00. I chuckled and said I don't have that much with me but I will buy $400.00. She replied that's OK you can come back if you want because they will be here for while anyway. SO, I started to get more interested. I asked, were they brought in like this regularly?? She said no, I think they were emptying out a house. When she came out of the vault she had a $500.00 box with Brinks rolls that were opened on one end. I said to myself, crap, probably a dump. But, I took the box she came out with anyway and looked throught them all again. SKUNKED. Now, should I still go back for the rest??? Should I forget about them?? I didn't even get to go to any other banks because I usually have enough money with $400.00 to go to a half dozen!

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
The same type of thing has happened to me. You call the bank asking for halves and they say they have rolls that have been sitting in the vault forever collecting dust. You get there and the teller who waits on you brings out an opened Brinks box with taped up rolls and says they have a regular customer who likes to "look through the rolls and return the ones he doesn't want". I have learned what banks around me have CRHers who take in alot of dumped half rolls and I simply avoid them. I don't understand though why these CRHers don't simply drive a few extra minutes and go to a bank with a coin counting machine. It has to take some time re rolling the halves.

Jim

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two boxes that were ordered by customers and they never picked them up. The roll ends were still unfolded, so I had no problem with buying them. If the ends are peeled, then it is someone elses dumps. That was their first and last time doing CRH.

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
I'd avoid going back, but I think you did the right thing by taking the first load.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
The first lesson is never bother searching through re-rolled brinks rolls. But I would go back and buy them all. You may get a roll or two that wasn't from the dumps and could well be worth it. Then, if you get any, search only the rolls that are not the re-rolled brinks roll, dump the rest at a bank which you know has tellers that search everything. Might as well give them something to look through! ;D And make sure you keep them in the brinks rolls. These things may make quite a trip around town as the various searchers get them.

Maine_Jim

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I'd go back and ask for just the "customer wrapped halves" (the ones in the brown paper). I've gone to banks that had a lot of CRHer dumps, but low and behold they had a few CWR's stuck in with the whole half dollar section of the vault. I took those and they turned out to be scores. You never know.
rileyboy

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I would buy them all and run the ruins thru a counter to get rid of 'em. Thats's the exact situation that I ran into as a newbie a couple years ago, and found my first and only Barber half, in a dumped machine roll/customer-wrapped buy. ffd

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Yes, GO BACK! I can't tell you how many times I have gone into a bank and bought all they had. Most of the rolls were someones dumps but there are often 2 or 3 with silver still in them. Sometimes a CRHer in the quest for a dump bank won't ask if they get any more half dollars in and they often don't check if they even have half dollars to begin with. Go back and get the rest.

Golden Silver

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
golden silver said:
Yes, GO BACK! I can't tell you how many times I have gone into a bank and bought all they had. Most of the rolls were someones dumps but there are often 2 or 3 with silver still in them. Sometimes a CRHer in the quest for a dump bank won't ask if they get any more half dollars in and they often don't check if they even have half dollars to begin with. Go back and get the rest.

Golden Silver

I agree. I have done this to every bank expect one. That was just because I didn't have $6,000 in my pocket for all those halves...

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my wife's doctors collects halves,he just got into this about 2 years ago and I just turned him on to this web site,anyway he told me that his daughter plays club softball(outside of school and you pay alot to have your kid on a team),and they travel all over Texas by car,anyway he told me while he's waiting for their team to play he drives back into the nearest town and asks at many of the banks or credit unions.He said sometimes it pays off,but told me that he has had the best luck at the old burger joint in town,or a Sonic or as he put it "the gold mine -Dairy queens"
He says that the DQ's have old nickles,dimes and halves,and the checker always wants to get rid of the halves because there's no where to put them in their cash drawers. :sign13: :thumbsup:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a bunch of customer rolls at a bank, $220 dollars worth. $200 worth of the rolls were someone's dumps, they were initialed. But the other $20 was 2 solid silver rolls, and unmarked .

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Not everyone says to buy all the coins at a bank. First i will only ask for all the loose and 100 in rolled. Then i will look to see if they are bank rolled customer rolled or both. I am also looking to see if the are the rerolled bank rolled in which case i will say " i meant 100 coins not $100 ,sorry". Depending on weather or not i am a member or weather or not the teller sounds kool i will ask some questions . Is there someone around here who regularly drops off halves? Are the halves in the back just like the ones you gave me ? Are the halves in the back all from 1 customer or multipls customers? If the halves are from multiple customers i will prob ask for more in any case i will go to the car and check to see how they look. If i find silver i will go back saying something like my dad or wife oked me buying more can i have the rest. Sorry if i sound confusing i have a system that works for me that is hard to explain.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
quiksilver said:
Not everyone says to buy all the coins at a bank. First i will only ask for all the loose and 100 in rolled. Then i will look to see if they are bank rolled customer rolled or both. I am also looking to see if the are the rerolled bank rolled in which case i will say " i meant 100 coins not $100 ,sorry". Depending on weather or not i am a member or weather or not the teller sounds kool i will ask some questions . Is there someone around here who regularly drops off halves? Are the halves in the back just like the ones you gave me ? Are the halves in the back all from 1 customer or multipls customers? If the halves are from multiple customers i will prob ask for more in any case i will go to the car and check to see how they look. If i find silver i will go back saying something like my dad or wife oked me buying more can i have the rest. Sorry if i sound confusing i have a system that works for me that is hard to explain.
Wow! That's way too many questions. If the tellers are not wise, you just clued them in! Just buy the things already.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
If the bank is convenient, why not go back and get them all. I have found silver in hunted rolls. Some people do not remove the 40% halves. What do you have to loose? HH Gayle

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
rsc said:
If the bank is convenient, why not go back and get them all. I have found silver in hunted rolls. Some people do not remove the 40% halves. What do you have to loose? HH Gayle

That might have been the case in the old days, but I doubt anyone who is aware of 40%ers is gonna not take them. It would be like throwing money away. If someone doesn't want them, they can swap them for 90%. I doubt many current CRHers are unaware of 40%ers if halves are their coin of choice.

The only 40%ers I have ever found in dump rolls are the occasional one because the CRHer was negligent and missed it because the rim looked almost clad.

As far as the "search all the rolls you can get" theory it can be a big WASTE of time if you are consistently buying a CRHers rejects.

By that I mean the CRHer who returns his rejects in the original wrappers in the original box and tapes or tucks under the rolls. How many here would get mad if their coin courier delivers a box that has these types of returns in them? Well that is the same thing as buying such a box from a teller directly.

Returned hand rolls in generic brown wrappers may be good if there are some virgin rolls that got mixed in with the CRHer's dump rolls in the vault. But if you know a regular CRHer is dumping there weekly, you are wasting your time in my opinion. I would rather put that time, money and effort into a new unopened Brinks box as opposed to knowingly buying hundreds in rejects hoping they missed a 40%er or maybe one virgin roll is mixed in there somewhere. Again, this only applies to banks where a known CRHer is dumping on a regular basis in large amounts (greater than $500 in dumps).

Jim

OP
OP
H

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I went back today and got the rest. ($550.00) $150 were more Brinks re-rolled. The rest!!!!! Well to my surprise 10-1964 Kennedys, 4- Franky's and 31-40% Kennedys. Whew!!! NOT SKUNKED!!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find rolls that look like they have been searched, rim searched. Sometimes rim searchers will miss some coins. Last week I found a few coins that appeared copper, but a darker copper. They were silver. I've seen quite a few 40% coins like this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread