larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
over the years we have found a half dozen or more of these with the hole in them
maybe for an angle brace when used as a hoe?
they are pre contact as the ribs on the back side have been removed by a flint blade rather than a metal blade

IMG_0362.jpg IMG_0363.jpg IMG_0364.jpg

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I recall seeing a picture showing one braced as you describe Steve.

Perhaps you could show examples of each pre and post contact bone modification? I for one would like to see.

Also, with all that bone on your site, I would like to see some examples (if you have any) that show butchering marks left on bone. I think that could be interesting.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

Perhaps you could show examples of each pre and post contact bone modification? I for one would like to see.

Also, with all that bone on your site, I would like to see some examples (if you have any) that show butchering marks left on bone. I think that could be interesting.

oh wowee quito.....give me some time to make it happen my friend.......
just sayin' ....we find many bone chunks W/cut marks on them.........i thought it was not a huge thing or i could have kept some for you my farmer brother........
.........and to think we could have almost became related east of mobridge where sittings bulls grave is (was) (is)?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

well quito i say this
it sounds like you wanna see some more of the butcher (from flint knives) marked pieces of the larger more well preserved bone things.....
we can still do his...............
................you know this stuff is more of great learning tool examples

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
figure-3.gif
Here's an illustration of one with a an angled brace like you mention, tied through the hole with some type of twine.
Based upon Buffalo-Bird-Woman's garden:

Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden
(Very interesting read here Steve, you may have already seen it)

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks much buckleberry
very interesting reading great information!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes since to have a brace put in that way, to hold the blade end and make it stronger. JMO I don't think they would have used something other than a stick for support, that was bond down with raw hide. I would love to see one up close, to study. If you look with a scope you should find marks of binding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread