TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Morning Gang,
Question for all of you penny crhers out there, do you retain/grade any RED 60s, 70s or even 80s that you find that you feel are in MS type condition? I'm curious as I have always set aside any really nice 60s/70s pennies that I find that are RED with minimal markings and don't show signs of cleaning. Was wondering if it would be worth to grade some of them if their population was low. I would retain some for my collection; but would also be nice to get a few such as the examples below that sold nicely at auction (albeit they are newer than 60s and 70s). Just looking for your straight up honest opinions. Thanks all!

Happy Hunting All! Good Luck!
-TwoYewts

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save ALL RED copper wheats & Memorials that are MS to BU UNC.
for '59 to '82 ----- only need 59D, 70S, 73S
& proofs- 75S, 76S, 77S, 78S, 79S, 81S, & 82S to complete a lot of MS/RED to offer to a copperhead :laughing7:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coins that are selling for these astronomical amounts are out of original rolls/bags. A coin from circulation will never grade ms67-69. It really must be close to perfection, and even a short time in circulation will cause it to get too many marks/scuffs. Most of the red cents you find in circulation dated from 60s/70s/80s probably wouldn't grade higher than au58 either if you sent them in. They look uncirculated, but on close inspection, most will have some rub on the highest points, dropping them down to au58-au55, even with nice red color. (Some will be BU, but they are the exceptions).

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe Huntsman can chime in & give us the scoop on the chain of flow for any coin after it comes out of the press and heads to a new life in circulation. there are cloth bags, hoppers and whatever before a coin ever gets to the virgin rolling. I have seen some amazing flawless coins come from rolls :goldtrophy:.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions