Question To the Xterra 70 experts

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
I have about 10 hours on my x70. I am having a hard time completely trusting it. Not so much in the id numbers but more in the sounds. I am well versed on a sovereign xs2a. My buddy an I walked in a line and I found a few bits of clad but he found several that i missed. It was a narrow strip of lawn so I know we scanned the same spots. I find the x70 to give me allot of signals with tid numbers hat do not repeat. I learned with the sovereign that if the signal does not repeat, I do not dig. I suspect this may be different with the x70. It seems for every 20 signals I get, 1 will repeat. Are these spitty signals worth digging? I should mention that the area is fairly trashy and I am running the preset pattern 2. I have two coils the 7.5khz concentric and the 6" 18khz DD. I seem to have better luck with the 6" it's just hard to cover much ground. I also was wondering if I run the auto tracking setting, the manual mentions that with this setting on, the machine might balance to Small objects. Could this be why I get signals at don't repeat? Although I do switch to all metal to see what's up. I am sure to ground balance in a spot with no metal. I have always preferred the dd coils so I find I am blaming the coil.
Any tips on the x70 would be appreciated.

coinsh00ter

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2008
One thing to make sure is you don't have to work it super slow like a sovereign. You might find better trash separation with a faster swing speed, not White's fast, but not Sovereign slow. I use the auto ground balance.

Dave in NJ

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vondrewvious said:
I have about 10 hours on my x70. I am having a hard time completely trusting it. Not so much in the id numbers but more in the sounds. I am well versed on a sovereign xs2a. My buddy an I walked in a line and I found a few bits of clad but he found several that i missed. It was a narrow strip of lawn so I know we scanned the same spots. I find the x70 to give me allot of signals with tid numbers hat do not repeat. I learned with the sovereign that if the signal does not repeat, I do not dig. I suspect this may be different with the x70. It seems for every 20 signals I get, 1 will repeat. Are these spitty signals worth digging? I should mention that the area is fairly trashy and I am running the preset pattern 2. I have two coils the 7.5khz concentric and the 6" 18khz DD. I seem to have better luck with the 6" it's just hard to cover much ground. I also was wondering if I run the auto tracking setting, the manual mentions that with this setting on, the machine might balance to Small objects. Could this be why I get signals at don't repeat? Although I do switch to all metal to see what's up. I am sure to ground balance in a spot with no metal. I have always preferred the dd coils so I find I am blaming the coil.
Any tips on the x70 would be appreciated.
I've noticed when you get a signal say it hits 20 then 38 and back but repeatedly goes back to the good signal 38, sometimes it is a coin next to trash, I speed the swing up because the 70 can show these targets separate. if it tries to single out a good signal then x the spot and run your coil in a circle to make sure it is a small target or go to prospect mode to see how big it is. If you have not used the prospect. get a couple of coins and set the power to where it hits coins up to 12 in and then you can get an Idea of what a coin sounds like(size and intensity). be sure to have on around one inch because they too will scream like a piece of trash... I begun using the prospect mode to double check some of my targets..and it has helped. remember the x70 does good in the trashy areas just takes some getting used to, to know what it is telling you. Ive also noticed the newer mem pennies will hit at 30 sometimes and is chirpy, I don't understand it but it does. hope it helps. GH

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Hi according to Jerry at the Minelab owners web site

#1 Ground Balance the Machine useing the Mode Auto function

#2 Noise Cancel the Machine useing the Mode Auto function

#3 Go into the Menu and set the Sensitivity too Max while holding
the unit 1' above the ground, then press pinpoint detect button
now lower the coil to 2" above the ground, if the numbers start to go
all over the place then go back into the Menu and lower the
Sensitivity setting until the numbers stabilize and are not bounceing
then press pinpoint button again

#4 Turn on the Tracking Ground Balance and start too hunt, if you think
you have located a item turn off Tracking Ground Balance and retest
the site, if the vdi is a positive number then proceed to the
Prospecting Mode and recheck the items location, you will have too
listen to the tones (in Prospecting Mode the Machine is preset up w/ a
Iron Mask of 5 which will knock out alot of the Iron signals) and if the tone is
on the HIGH SIDE goto digging

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
If you are going back and forth over a coin with the ground tracking on, you can lose the signal or get a different reading. Once you have located a signal, turn the auto ground tracking off and re sweep the find.

Good hunting, John K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I haven't had any problems with my machine tracking out faint signals in auto mode. But I have dug coins that jumped from negative to positive numbers. I have uncovered a lot of iron in the same holes as the coins. Don't let the jumpy numbers fool you. The 70 will tell you what's down there. I always feel that there is a reason for my detector to jump to the high coin range with some negative number thrown in. Very seldom do I get a clean coin hit where it locks on one number. There's just too much crap in the ground. Remember to listen to the beeps. Your looking for a repeatable beep. Then dig it up. Don't let your detector talk you out of digging. Sometimes in 4 tone mode you'll get a target right between two tones. It beeps high tone a few times then it will throw a medium tone at you too. This makes the tone sound like it's broken or just plain confusing. When you get a signal like this set your tones to 2 or 3 and re sweep. You will now find your tone sounds great. I usually hunt in 2 tone mode. Sometimes 3.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
khouse said:
I haven't had any problems with my machine tracking out faint signals in auto mode. But I have dug coins that jumped from negative to positive numbers. I have uncovered a lot of iron in the same holes as the coins. Don't let the jumpy numbers fool you. The 70 will tell you what's down there. I always feel that there is a reason for my detector to jump to the high coin range with some negative number thrown in. Very seldom do I get a clean coin hit where it locks on one number. There's just too much crap in the ground. Remember to listen to the beeps. Your looking for a repeatable beep. Then dig it up. Don't let your detector talk you out of digging. Sometimes in 4 tone mode you'll get a target right between two tones. It beeps high tone a few times then it will throw a medium tone at you too. This makes the tone sound like it's broken or just plain confusing. When you get a signal like this set your tones to 2 or 3 and re sweep. You will now find your tone sounds great. I usually hunt in 2 tone mode. Sometimes 3.

Great post Khouse,

That is exactly the best description of how to get the most out of the X70 I have seen in a long time. AND its exactly how I used mine when I had it. Good machine the X70!

HH Tom

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I have a question if I recieve a signal for example 48 , and I hit pinpoint and it jumps all over the board -2 , 28 , 16, 12 etc etc is it usually junk ?

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
007 said:
I have a question if I recieve a signal for example 48 , and I hit pinpoint and it jumps all over the board -2 , 28 , 16, 12 etc etc is it usually junk ?
yes... you can check if you slow down your swing around that target and can't get the same(repeating) reading on the high (not 48) then it is probably not a good target. Or it a large peice of iron in different stages of rust... How deep is it showing compared to how deep you have dug will also give you an idea if the target is (large piece of iron) overloading the coil...also go to prospect and see if it is a large item...

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I am no expert by any means but have been using my X-70 for over a month now and have found this little trick that helps me on those jumpy signals. First I run in program 1 and never ground track as I feel like I do better if I Ground balance every few minutes as the soil here does not change much, When I hit the jumpy signal I go to pinpoint and lay the coil dead center over the object, click off pinpoint and swing the coil immeadiatly over the object. I usually get the truest and clearest reading that way. I don't know if this is proper or in line with what Minelab tells people all I know is it works for me and I pull coins at depths that would make SE owners green with envy. Hope this helps

Marius

Jun 24, 2008
California
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70
Slipperyjack47 said:
I am no expert by any means but have been using my X-70 for over a month now and have found this little trick that helps me on those jumpy signals. First I run in program 1 and never ground track as I feel like I do better if I Ground balance every few minutes as the soil here does not change much, When I hit the jumpy signal I go to pinpoint and lay the coil dead center over the object, click off pinpoint and swing the coil immeadiatly over the object. I usually get the truest and clearest reading that way. I don't know if this is proper or in line with what Minelab tells people all I know is it works for me and I pull coins at depths that would make SE owners green with envy. Hope this helps

Not an expert here...but..i do similar setup..auto ground balance,i repeat it each 15min,sens around 14-20 depends whats going on in soil.
And i seriously dig all stuff above 0,even if it jumps ,even if its 46-48(then i try to check how big its using pinpoint as shape ,not prospecting mode here),if is big and 46-48 i dig to but in 100% so far it was big junk,very shallow.

Like today i got that funky jumps from like 6 to 20s,and it was silver earing.
So basically i dig them all ,but not ferr. signals like -6 and so,what i do i triple rescan them,couple times it was rusty coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread