Question: What would you do if...

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I was at a local bank the other day and the one teller I know told me about some unc state quarters that were brought in. I asked about seeing them and they brought out $450 worth. Everyone was in the plastic shrink tube(wrap) and you could definitely see they were all unc. They had already opened a roll and all were the same state.My question is this, would you buy them to resell and make a few bucks, or keep them? Right now I can't afford to put out $450 and sit on it for a while. I have to use that for my box purchases.
Where would these have come from? I always saw the state quarters in the regular $10 paper roll. Are there any states that are more valuable than others?
Any input would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, there are states more valuable than others - though these coins are still very new so we are not talking big premiums. On the flip side, if the bank is selling to you at spot then you have no downside, right. Legal tender at face value. You are only wasting time and effort if it doesnt pan out. Maybe before buying, it might be worth seeing if any historical sales have been made in eBay, etc so you can get an idea if the product moves and what kind of premium you get.

Hold or sell? Can never complain if you can make a quick flip. Not sure of the long term investment potential of state quarters. A lot were sold on tv and mags as collectibles and investments which usually means there are a ton of unc coins sitting in drawers that people will dump some day. Just my opinion - good luck.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What state(s)?

If they are 1999s, I'd definitely buy them - nice premium.

OP
OP
gunner45

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
baddbluff said:
What state(s)?

If they are 1999s, I'd definitely buy them - nice premium.

The ones I looked at were WV, Idaho,south Dakota

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Type: South Dakota State Quarter
Year: 2006
Mint Mark: D
Face Value: 0.25 USD
Total Produced: 265,800,000 [?]
Silver Content: 0%
Numismatic Value: 45 cents to $1.1
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around 45 cents, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $1.1. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say poor, we mean worn more than would be expected from a coin in this age, and perfect meaning it looks "perfect" without flaw and possibly even certified.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Type: West Virginia State Quarter
Year: 2005
Mint Mark: D
Total Produced: 356,200,000 [?]
Numismatic Value: 45 cents to $1.1
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around 45 cents, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $1.1. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say poor, we mean worn more than would be expected from a coin in this age, and perfect meaning it looks "perfect" without flaw and possibly even certified. [?].

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Type: Idaho State Quarter
Year: 2007
Mint Mark: P
Total Produced: 294,600,000 [?]
Numismatic Value: 35 cents to $0.95
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around 35 cents, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $0.95. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say poor, we mean worn more than would be expected from a coin in this age, and perfect meaning it looks "perfect" without flaw and possibly even certified. [

this is off coin tracker

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eBay will tell you what they are worth. Subtract 11.9% and that is what you collect.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread