Question???

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its against the rules to call BS,but why is it that so many specimens supposedly of gold being posted lately have a VERY strong resemblance of nothing more than pyrite?This shouldnt be,and people get weird when ya ask em.I just looked through a couple pics of gold I have taken and none look like pyrite...gold looks like gold!

Upvote 0

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PCSC Red Chispa Gold 1.0.jpg PCSC Red Chispa Gold 1.1.jpg
Corse gold from Mojave desert last month.

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kuger, it's got to be from all the new comers to the prospecting world. I too have noticed that a lot of pictures of pyrite (and sand) have been posted that are supposedly gold. Once you've seen gold in it's natural environment, tough to mistake pyrite for gold. I think it's gold fever mixed with ignorance.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kuger, it's got to be from all the new comers to the prospecting world. I too have noticed that a lot of pictures of pyrite (and sand) have been posted that are supposedly gold. Once you've seen gold in it's natural environment, tough to mistake pyrite for gold. I think it's gold fever mixed with ignorance.

I agree my friend...and thats excusable,but there are a few being posted by some that should know....do know

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I would agree with all the above, however sometimes digital photography seems to distort what is represented in real life. I don't know if it is cheap cameras, operator error, lighting or what. JMHO

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oakview,
sometimes Real Life is distorted. However real gold does look like real gold, I've seen some pyrite that comes close but just whack it once or twice and you have your answer..........63bkpkr

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little minnesota gold.....not pyrite!!!
bloomington gold 2.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gold and pyrite are not hard to tell apart....once the difference is learned!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could understand someone new to prospecting being fooled. My heart was racing and I was excited as hell when I started seeing big, glittery, golden chunks being sucked up off the bedrock by my dredge. When I did my cleanout, they failed the needle/hammer test.

So maybe it's someone who just doesn't know any better, or maybe it's someone hoping nobody else will know better. There are always a few people who will post fake/bought items looking for attention and praise.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Oakview,
sometimes Real Life is distorted. However real gold does look like real gold, I've seen some pyrite that comes close but just whack it once or twice and you have your answer..........63bkpkr

I would agree Herb, just commenting on how digital photography can sometime skew reality. I don't know how many times someone will post a picture of what looks like a purple rock, and when questioned, the posters says no the rock is actually blue... jmho

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think oakview hit the nail on the head. Everybody got digital cameras and their settings are getting more and more sophisticated. A light in the kitchen being on or off can really affect how well these newfangled cameras work, especially if you screw with the settings at all.
My two cents

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that flourscent light can have a negative effect on colors photographed. But I still remember what gold looks like. Not mine but makes me long for turkey:-)

Attachments

• thanksgiving[1].jpg
    thanksgiving[1].jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys,I know quite well what it should look like,I just thought I am missing something....thats why I went back through a bunch of my pics to see if I did the same thing.....I want to give people the benefit of the doubt,I really do!As long as its not me being pescimistic!!!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Kuger

You are a heck of a lot more right than pessimistic. Jmho

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, lighting can make gold look like crap.
Natural light is always the best to use when shooting most things. :)

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger,

I think its just the nature of forums. You take the bad with the good and the fake with the real.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coot!!!!A flash from the past!!!!
Shoot me your phone num pm!!!!!

jeffrm20

Feb 21, 2013
CA Motherlode
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, Ive only been prospecting for a month and I can easily tell the difference in pyrite and gold. Been finding a lot of small pyrite in one creek Ive been collecting a lot of flood gold. Been using the "crayon technique" If I can draw a picture in the bottom of my pan, it's pyrite! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions