Question

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I cant seem to run mine properly:maybe its because im used to the needed flow/tension for the A52. :/
For you and. NuggetN8...
Run it steep enough for the larger rocks to flow off the grizzly, just like Prospector70 says, he knows his stuff with the Bazooka. In a really small creek, dam the whole creek up to create your own drop/flow. I do this all the time in little neighborhood creeks here in Denver when running my 30" Prospector. Also don't worry at all about the pattern the water makes in the sluice, just doesn't matter.

image-1253048879.jpg

Yesterday at a little creek with my friend Steve and his Prospector. His experience was all in rivers until yesterday... He doubted the flow would be enough but was thrilled with what we could do by making a little dam and then sliding a few rocks under the upper end of the Bazooka to enhance the slope of the sluice

PS great choice going with the Bazooka vs an A52...3X the gold for sure but no time sitting in an easy chair with a beer while feeding your sluice with a garden trowel...hmm, that IS a trade off ;-)

Last edited:

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For you and. NuggetN8... Run it steep enough for the larger rocks to flow off the grizzly, just like Prospector70 says, he knows his stuff with the Bazooka. In a really small creek, dam the whole creek up to create your own drop/flow. I do this all the time in little neighborhood creeks here in Denver when running my 30" Prospector. Also don't worry at all about the pattern the water makes in the sluice, just doesn't matter. PS great choice going with the Bazooka vs an A52...3X the gold for sure but no time sitting in an easy chair with a beer while feeding your sluice with a garden trowel...hmm, that IS a trade off ;-)

What about in a larger river held on 2 bedrock pieces, 9' from the bottom of the bed? Would the water flow change throughout the bottom entry, just for the fact that it isnt sitting on the bed of the river(having water flow around it, including underneath)?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about in a larger river held on 2 bedrock pieces, 9' from the bottom of the bed? Would the water flow change throughout the bottom entry, just for the fact that it isnt sitting on the bed of the river(having water flow around it, including underneath)?
In a big river life is easy. You can do as you said as long as the river is moving along. You can also run the sluice entirely underwater, I've run mine as much as a foot underwater with great gold recovery! 9" up will be nice since your tailings won't clog the downstream end of the sluice at all...sounds great. Just remember to have enough slope on the skid plate to shed rocks over the grizzly...people tend to run the bazooka too flat because of their experience with riffle sluices.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In a big river life is easy. You can do as you said as long as the river is moving along. You can also run the sluice entirely underwater, I've run mine as much as a foot underwater with great gold recovery! 9" up will be nice since your tailings won't clog the downstream end of the sluice at all...sounds great. Just remember to have enough slope on the skid plate to shed rocks over the grizzly...people tend to run the bazooka too flat because of their experience with riffle sluices.
The trap in mine fills quite quickly..litterally packed. Little to no black sand capture. Maybe too steep? Im taking my video camera the next trip

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just ordered a prospector. I'll probably be trying it out next week.

Best sluice decision you will make, and good choice on the prospector. Your pans WILL be heavier!!

JB

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The trap in mine fills quite quickly..litterally packed. Little to no black sand capture. Maybe too steep? Im taking my video camera the next trip
In any fluid bed, the trap will be full virtually from the start but not packed hard, a loose enough condition to let you push your finger down into the trap (and to let the gold fall down thru the bed of gravel). It is possible you are seeing a real problem (due to running too flat and slow) but most likely you only think you have a problem and really it is fine.

Given your concerns I encourage you to meet another Bazooka user to exchange experience on the creek (that's why I met up with Steve yesterday - to show him how to run well in a small creek).

It should be easy to find someone to meet with since you are in N cal.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trap is supposed to fill up.
As the heavier items come in the lighter material will kick out of the back.
When its in this state sometimes you can look from the front of the grizzlies and see the material exchanging out.
There is no real trick to setup other than making sure when the shovel hits, the deck and grizzlies self clean. (It doesnt have to be slow, I like faster than 8 seconds because I dig fast)
Sure you will have to poke a big flat rock off the grizzlies every now and then (Especially pieces of asphalt I've noticed).
And every now and then I'll pause to work out any small stones that inevitably get stuck in the grizzlies, a small curved hand tool pops them right out. (Hook them out instead of trying to grab it which I think may interfere with the fluid bed not to mention you usually pop them into the bed with your bare hand hehe)

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Didn't realize how close I am to the people who made bazookas.. Shipped yesterday expected to he delivered today.. I guess ill get to try it out soon!

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Didn't realize how close I am to the people who made bazookas.. Shipped yesterday expected to he delivered today..
We should hit the river sometime together, as i also live close.
Heavy pans brother

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah for sure. That would be awesome. Having some problems with my car right now but when I get it fixed definitely !
Sounds great. If you are close. I can drive.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the sound of that!

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
... I was trolled by the post office today. I went up to check the mail. No notification in my box to pick up a package. I go home and continuously check the status on the package and in said in transit all day. Closing time at the postoffice comes around. I get an email saying it was delivered at 10am... Now it's locked up in there until Monday because it's too big of a package to fit in a PO Box. Oh well looks like I'll get to try it out next week. I suppose I'll go scout some areas out over the weekend.

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe a good weekend to meet some other bazooka owners and see how they work?:)

Nameless

Greenie
Jan 6, 2014
R. C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah for sure. That would be awesome. Having some problems with my car right now but when I get it fixed definitely !
Are you using public transportation "bus". Just wondering, driving home from work seen guy today and yesterday at a bus stop on Coloma road with a buket and a sluice stiking out of back pack.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you using public transportation "bus". Just wondering, driving home from work seen guy today and yesterday at a bus stop on Coloma road with a buket and a sluice stiking out of back pack.
Lol no that's not me. I have family that helps out with transportation while my car is down.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Making it out in the morning to do some exploring! Hope I don't encounter anymore critters. A couple weeks ago I had a huge 350-400lb bear running at me while I was hiking then another time I walked into a mountain lion. Both encounters were way too close! The bear stopped about 10ft away from me and the lion was about 5ft away from me. Somebody must be looking out for me lol. I'll let you all know how the trip goes. If I don't ever post I'm either dead lost in the woods or stranded in the middle of the river. ;) I should have something shiny to show tomorrow evening!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making it out in the morning to do some exploring! Hope I don't encounter anymore critters. A couple weeks ago I had a huge 350-400lb bear running at me while I was hiking then another time I walked into a mountain lion. Both encounters were way too close! The bear stopped about 10ft away from me and the lion was about 5ft away from me. Somebody must be looking out for me lol. I'll let you all know how the trip goes. If I don't ever post I'm either dead lost in the woods or stranded in the middle of the river. ;) I should have something shiny to show tomorrow evening!

Bro..revolver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread