QUESTIONABLE INFORMATION POSTED AS FACT CONCERNING THE BEALE TALE

jhonnz41

May 4, 2020
Philippines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years on various threads statements have been posted as "fact" when there is no documentation outside of the original source, THE BEALE PAPERS, publish by James Beverly Ward during the year of 1885 in Lynchburg, Virginia.
Most appear to be based on opinion of maybe or pure embellished speculation, or force fitting random possibilities to fit a pet theory.
Some of the questionable "facts":
Robert Morriss was related to Robert Morris Jr, signer of the DOI.
The Fine Arts Building on 600 Main St was the Morriss house where Beale stayed.
Indians observed from a distance the kiln fires that the Beale Party utilized to smelt the ore.
Once smelted gold and silver was made into bars by sand box casting.
The gold was about 60% or 14K, the silver little more pure.
The gold and silver bars were transported in false bottom wagons.
To cross Big Otter Creek, the bars had to be unloaded and placed on pack mules.
The treasure was placed in 30 gal salt Boone's Salt Works brine pots.
The "key letter" was never delivered because of a St Louis flood.
...and so on.
None of what is listed above is mentioned in the original source of THE BEALE PAPERS.

Despite the conclusions made by Lt Thomas Fawcett who interviewed Lynchburg residents for codebreaker Col William Friedman concerning the Beale Papers and the treasure story-
"The investigation in which we made...tended to support the view that the whole story of gold buried in Bedford county by Captain Beale and his associates was spun from the imagination of Mr Ward" report dated 30 April, 1949-
speculation and lore continue to be presented that lack foundation in actual events.

True...

jhonnz41

May 4, 2020
Philippines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“I thought at first to give you their names in this letter, but
reflecting that someone may read the letter, and thus be enabled to
impose upon you by personating some member of the party, have decided
the present plan is best.”

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been noted, you now have joined an elite group of those who have posted questionable information as fact.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, INDEED!
Without any connection to James Beverly Ward or the alleged "unnamed author" and NO provenance of either having access to the Columbus Journals for use as a key with NO direct mentions to Beale, Bedford county, etc, the solutions provided by jhonnz41 are HIGHLY questionable.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“I thought at first to give you their names in this letter, but
reflecting that someone may read the letter, and thus be enabled to
impose upon you by personating some member of the party, have decided
the present plan is best.”

This could also be just a creative way of adding additional mystery and intrigue to the tale, and/or to avoid having to create so many additional characters, etc. Certainly not the first tale of treasure that utilizes multiple unnamed people in much the same way.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
This could also be just a creative way of adding additional mystery and intrigue to the tale, and/or to avoid having to create so many additional characters, etc. Certainly not the first tale of treasure that utilizes multiple unnamed people in much the same way.
INDEED!

jhonnz41

May 4, 2020
Philippines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another Questionable information...

My voyage(letters) I write this to tell you, Royal Standard(Gold), the(one) third, great(Quality). I gave to the Indies(Locals/Indians), possession(Buy/purchase) for their highness(Mountain). Has given me(purchase success), in my voyage(letter) I write it “their Highness by proclamation, Standard without opposition”, and to tell you, third Fernandina(Jonathan),(and) his Divine
Majesty(Elizabeth), display(view/home) of the Royal Standard(nobles) without opposition(stands out from rest/well made ) Santa Maria(place east of J-D farm), de Concepcion(village/town or smaller), with the fleet(Group) that not fail to see and found countless small communities. Has Queen(of Indies/Elizabeth/govern), our Sovereign(party) success that our Sovereigns gave me name(Title/Owner) of San Salvador(Harkening). In my voyage(Letter), I write this to tell you,

gave a new name their highness(Mountain).

It was about naming or words used. Not the party, The real page 3 left in Mary's possession is still missing. Note that I am not telling that this is a fact, If you research about these, Its up to you if you consider it a fact, fiction or fabricated :icon_thumright:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another Questionable information...

My voyage(letters) I write this to tell you, Royal Standard(Gold), the(one) third, great(Quality). I gave to the Indies(Locals/Indians), possession(Buy/purchase) for their highness(Mountain). Has given me(purchase success), in my voyage(letter) I write it “their Highness by proclamation, Standard without opposition”, and to tell you, third Fernandina(Jonathan),(and) his Divine
Majesty(Elizabeth), display(view/home) of the Royal Standard(nobles) without opposition(stands out from rest/well made ) Santa Maria(place east of J-D farm), de Concepcion(village/town or smaller), with the fleet(Group) that not fail to see and found countless small communities. Has Queen(of Indies/Elizabeth/govern), our Sovereign(party) success that our Sovereigns gave me name(Title/Owner) of San Salvador(Harkening). In my voyage(Letter), I write this to tell you,

gave a new name their highness(Mountain).

It was about naming or words used. Not the party, The real page 3 left in Mary's possession is still missing. Note that I am not telling that this is a fact, If you research about these, Its up to you if you consider it a fact, fiction or fabricated :icon_thumright:

But we could manage these same type of "possible connections" to just about any historical document we might care to select, also any number of books, diaries/journals, or just about any writing. So what sets your preferred presentation apart form all of these other options? I mean, it's not like the author directed you in any way to this Columbus connection, as would be the exact same case with all of those other unlimited options one has to choose from. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

jhonnz41

May 4, 2020
Philippines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But we could manage these same type of "possible connections" to just about any historical document we might care to select, also any number of books, diaries/journals, or just about any writing. So what sets your preferred presentation apart form all of these other options? I mean, it's not like the author directed you in any way to this Columbus connection, as would be the exact same case with all of those other unlimited options one has to choose from. :icon_scratch:

What led me to the Columbus letter was that I tried to think that there "might be" another key used in the cipher. A key that has "traveling" involved, and a key that is also very important in America(Discovery of America). I haven't read the letter of Columbus during that time, and my knowledge is very limited. I only know that Columbus is traveling and found America, NOTHING ELSE.

Here in PH schools/universities, we are not instructed to read that letter, we were just told that Columbus discovered America, I don't even know that it was only by accident as they originally wanted to find a route to China by going west, it turns out at the end that the letter is very interesting. After reading, I learned that he found Islands, encountered Indians etc., things that I don't know at first.

I don't even know that a directions is involved in the letter (North, East, West and South) or the word "Gold" was involved.
I may just be lucky that i tried to CTRL + F and type "GOLD" that lead me to this method of deciphering.:hello2:

As for the connections, I don't know a single thing about Bedford and Peaks of Otter during that time. It was months of research and sleepless nights wondering why, where and who, researching every synonym and figuring out what each word means in the sentence.

Note: I searched for the synonyms after having my first draft of Page 1. I sent the file to sir Franklin, that was different from the one I posted here. It was because I don't know about history of Bedford during that time, I just picked the words to form sentences (problem:arbitrary). It was a cipher that I think does not have a pattern "perhaps" to trick even the best cryptographers.

Additional Note: I read the letter after having a draft of page 1, because I found things that should not make sense yet makes sense. As if my mind is telling me that I am very imaginative and that I might just be sleepy and hallucinating.

If they were still alive for interrogation, they could simply deny it because it simply does not have pattern(arbitrary). No provenance, just alias, hidden meaning. NOBODY would believe to "Proclaim to the Fleet that the Illustrious King and Queen our Sovereign gave me". The solution being arbitrary is very perfect for them, not for us. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread