Questions about a folding backpacking sluice.

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm new to prospecting and I've got 1 season under my belt using a folding 50 inch Royal backpacking sluice. It's fits great into my backpack or into a 5 gallon bucket and I've had a lot of fun with it. But I wonder about loosing fine gold through any leaking at the joints. What do you think experts, should I worry about it?

Have you had any experience good or bad with a box like mine??

fuseboxxx

May 6, 2013
I have the same one. I wouldn't worry. Just get it as straight as you can cause most of it will get caught in the first section anyways before the first hinged part. You could also buy the frame that is made for it to straighten it out. Just take the legs off. Hope that helps

OP
OP
Gold Rover

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the same one. I wouldn't worry. Just get it as straight as you can cause most of it will get caught in the first section anyways before the first hinged part. You could also buy the frame that is made for it to straighten it out. Just take the legs off. Hope that helps
Thanks for the reply. I straighten it and give each hinge nut some tightening each time i run it. I'll relax and enjoy it.

Plus, I've got plans for some DIY projects, so it won't be my only alternative.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi goldrover and welcome. I personally don't use folding sluices but know of some who have of verious makers. They have all told me that they have seen gold and material being sucked out the bottom through the hinged area. What they did was run a piece of thin weather stripping accross the bottom. Problem solved. You still need it as flat as possible.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thin weatherstripping sounds like a good idea. Did they run it covering the whole bottom? Or just across the areas where it hinges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had that problem on the one I made myself but then I made it extra tight and had the section above over lapping the next section (the way shingles on a roof overlap) and the same with the last section. The ribbed mat also overlaps the joint on each section. When the riffles are screwed down it makes the whole unit rigid and water tight at both joints.

fs1.jpg fs3.jpg

fs2.jpg

As you can see it starts out narrow and each section is the thickness of the aluminum wider so the one above will fit overlapping into the next section. It ends up wider at the bottom than at the top. I haven't seen a store bought one in person so maybe they are made the same way I dont know.

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BH Prospector that means a lot coming from you.

I only used it twice then took it apart to use some of the aluminum on other projects thinking I would rebuild it later but never did. I caught fluidbed gold trap fever and now that's pretty much all I use when it comes to sluicing.

GG~

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well GG whether you ever rebuild it or not you always make some superb gear. Thank you for sharing.................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Gold Rover

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Royal overlaps like your sluice, GG. I'm impressed by the quality and your skill in manufacturing it.

I just got turned onto fluid bed myself by KevinInCO and russau, so hopefully I'll be running both in the spring.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The FBGT's (fluid bed gold traps) pretty much make all the other sluices obsolete. Unless you like to spend extra time classifying and doing clean ups and dealing with 4 times the concentrates to process. :tongue3:

Drop riffle sluices are the next best choice. And except for the gold well drop riffle sluice with the added twists they are fairly inexpensive.
But real easy to make your own.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gold Rover

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now I have to investigate drop riffles! The learning never ends.............

It's one of the reasons that I'm so jazzed about this new hobby.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Federal mining laws protect miners not hobbyist. As a hobby you are no longer protected in view of the courts. We are all under attack and need to stand united. Some good terms are prospector or small scale miner.
Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gold Rover

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Federal mining laws protect miners not hobbyist. As a hobby you are no longer protected in view of the courts. We are all under attack and need to stand united. Some good terms are prospector or small scale miner.
Good luck
Thanks for the explanation.

Kruzman

May 23, 2013
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Royal overlaps like your sluice, GG. I'm impressed by the quality and your skill in manufacturing it.

I just got turned onto fluid bed myself by KevinInCO and russau, so hopefully I'll be running both in the spring.

Just to differentiate between the fluid bed traps, and drop riffles if your new to the concepts, they each have different disadvantages. A major disadvantage of the fluid bed traps is they need a lot more water than a drop riffle to run correctly. conversely, if you have a lot of water flow, you can generally run larger material through a fluid bed trap than you can a drop riffle due to its built in classification.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree and would add that the modern fluid beds work well with moderate flow although you will have to manually clear the grizzly in some cases...still faster and more productive than traditional classifying so the fluid bed wins almost every time! Bazoooooka!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread