Questions about Fisher F75

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
North East Alabama, Section
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
I started detecting in th
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in Miami Fla in the early 70s. First detector was a Bounty Hunter IB100 and I found hundreds of coins and many many silver ones. Next was a C&G which was my first discriminator but one had to keep a thumb on the tuning knob to keep it tuned. I developed an automatic tuning adapter for it and sold them in the treasure mags for Whites, Garrett (groundhog), Compass and some others. Then the companies started adding there own auto tune. I was also a repair center for almost of all the companies in the late 70s. I met Kenny White and others from the major companies and had the chance to try out there newest detectors. I also did all of Kelleyco's repairs. The good old days. Miami was a metal detectors dream, it was not uncommon to find more than 20 silver coins in a day with a detector that didn't get deeper than 6" The ground was a dream to search in and t seemed sites never did get searched out. Then in 1980 I moved to West palm and it was all over. I had to sell most of my silver at around $20 and ounce when the great silver run was winding down from the Hunt Brothers market take over. I never really got back into it as strong as I did in the 70s. partially, since I had 7 buddies that were always calling to go out and one had the keys to the school gates in Miami, he was a maintenance man. Now I live in North Alabama and I have way more time but nobody calls and its hard to motivate myself. Last year I did hit 3 organized hunts. I have owned almost every manufacture of detector including a PI which I still have one. I really would like to get back in it in a bigger way though.

Right now I have the F75LTD, Whites DFX, Whites Coinmaster GT, Whites Eagle II Sl, Garrett 1000 a Garreett 500, a Garrett Deep Seeker which can also be converted to a 2 box. A Whites Surfmaster PI and Whites Surfmaster Discriminator. and the wife won a GoFind 40 which I haven't tried yet. She won it in a woman's only hunt in a drawing last year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a few minuets ago I heard the door alarm go off, it was Fed-X delivering my upgraded F75 LTD Upgraded. Total time including shipping over tehe weekend was 1 week. Great service. It came in a new box saying Fisher 75 years edition edition but with a sticker that said DST,FA, 4 levels of FE tone, Adjustable audio Pitch. Nowhere does it say LTD or limited Edition.
I did notice that it has a different serial number and had a Kellyco sticker on it than the one I sent in. Now as soon as the weather warms up I can test it out.

I talked to Fisher today and they said that they change the S/N and clean it and send the same detector back.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am planning in purchasing a new Fisher 75 in April or May because it is too cold to go out in Connecticut with a new Pin Pointer. I would like to thank my good friend Loco - Digger for his help here and on the telephone. God bless him.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Seems to be the drill. They put a new foam grip on mine as well. And a shorter trigger switch.

As I said earlier - this is going to make identifying used F-75 detectors a challenge.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You only need to get the S/N and call them and they will tell you what you have.

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has probably been written before many times....
I get irritated when you tubers make videos of the 75 going over a target showing 99 on the vdi with an occasional grunt....they dig a nail...the operator then says the detector is lying or has been fooled....
The 75 is simply reading the halo and wrapping around to iron. Its this reason that I normally dont scrim iron out. Read the manual theres a whole lot of options in softening the iron tone. and you will love it.

people really shouldnt make a video without putting in the 100 hours in my opinion.
the french videos showing depth tests of various machines never show the machines bieng ground balanced?
I love the 75, bang for your buck the 75th edition with DST, FA, Fe tone etc represents seriously good value. Cheaper for me here than a xterra 705, macro racer etc.
Put the hours in ...pay attention. Actually do 100 hours of learning....not just the same hour 100 times!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the F75 so much I have my second one on it's way. Right now is the time to find a cheap SE version (pre -DST) and then send it in for $159 for the upgrade. You will get a practically new machine back from the upgrade. It's nice to get a $1,100 detector for less than half price.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question for you guys...
Since Fisher is part of First Texas Products as so is Bounty Hunter would coils be interchangeable between them?
I was looking at a F75 with the 3 coil pack and my son likes the BH Pro Plat. Would he be able to use the 5" or 11" coil with the BH?
He is excited and will be getting his BHPro for his BDay next week!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question for you guys...
Since Fisher is part of First Texas Products as so is Bounty Hunter would coils be interchangeable between them?
I was looking at a F75 with the 3 coil pack and my son likes the BH Pro Plat. Would he be able to use the 5" or 11" coil with the BH?
He is excited and will be getting his BHPro for his BDay next week!

The coils are made to run in a frequency range, I doubt if the F75 coils are compatible but all coils for the F5 and the Teknetics greek series should work, you may need an adapter though. Does the BH have a push in connector or screw on?

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coils are made to run in a frequency range, I doubt if the F75 coils are compatible but all coils for the F5 and the Teknetics greek series should work, you may need an adapter though. Does the BH have a push in connector or screw on?

The BH is the same as Teknetics... same display just different sticker on it. I don't have one in front of me and I can't seem to get good pics of it so I will have to ask the sales guy.

Was hoping because they were all the same parent company they would be interchangeable... good idea right?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They used to run different software as well. Don't know about currently. We need Woof! to chime in.

Just because one investment group owns them all does not mean there is any consolidation of parts or products. They are in turn owned themselves by The Texas Growth Fund (a private equity firm).

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They used to run different software as well. Don't know about currently. We need Woof! to chime in.

Just because one investment group owns them all does not mean there is any consolidation of parts or products. They are in turn owned themselves by The Texas Growth Fund (a private equity firm).

Thanks. Is Woof a techie? Hope so.

I know they are just a parent company. Wishful thinking. Would be nice to have coils to swap around without having to buy "Brand specific".

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like the BH Pro has push in connectors. Can get different coils from First Texas and Bounty Hunter.
The Fisher has all Fisher coils listed. Doesn't say anything about the connectors.
Below are the Freq's listed from prod specs. So I guess I answered my question.
F75 - Operating Frequency 13 kHz
BH Pro Plat - Operating Frequency 7.81 kHz

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks. Is Woof a techie? Hope so.

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::notworthy:

A techie...I would say he knows how a battery is mounted in a detector and maybe a bit more.
woof on the forums is Dave Johnson.

Article with a list you might want to look at.

"What do the following gold detectors have in common:

Fisher Gold Bug (nugget detector, no longer in production)
Fisher Gold Bug 2 (nugget detector, in production)
Tesoro Diablo Micromax (nugget detector, no longer in production)
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq (general purpose, in production)
White’s GMT (nugget detector, in production)
White’s MXT (general purpose, in production)
Troy X-5 (general purpose, no longer in production)
Teknetics T2 (general purpose, in production)
Fisher F75 (general purpose, in production)
Fisher F70 (general purpose, in production)
Fisher Gold Bug Pro (general purpose, in production)

Yes, they are all particulary hot on gold - some are as hot as you get. But what they have in common is engineer Dave Johnson. What many people do not know is that only a few people have made detecting what it is today. Dave has been lead engineer or had a hand in many of the best detectors I've ever owned. What you notice is he has worked for many companies. Basically, if you wanted to make a good gold detector, for quite some time the answer was "get Dave"!

So when people talk this brand versus that brand it is kind of funny, as they often have more in common than you think. When it comes to nugget detecting, once upon a time it was Charles Garrett, and now it is pretty much Dave Johnson and Bruce Candy (Minelab) who have left their mark on the detectors that have found the vast majority of gold nuggets found worldwide. A younger fellow and less well known would be Brent Weaver at Garrett who had a hand in the Infinium and innovative AT models.

These guys built on the basics of detecting as conceived of by others but stand out for their contibutions to the world of nugget detecting."

He is the guy kneeling in the photo here...
Question and Answer Session with FT-Fisher Engineers David Johnson and John Gardiner

A little more about him...
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/f...hnson-chief-engineer-fisher-teknetics-bh.html

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::notworthy:

A techie...I would say he knows how a battery is mounted in a detector and maybe a bit more.
woof on the forums is Dave Johnson.

Article with a list you might want to look at.

Looks like you got a good laugh out of that one. I don't know him and I was laughing because I work in a Tech field and have a guy who can't put batteries in anything... :BangHead:

I will check out the links, thanks!

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got to try out my Upgraded F75 LTD, It was over 80 today and the ground was nice and moist. I finally found that silver dime I buried 5 years ago 6" deep that I could not find. It was right in the area I thought it was. THe long drought killed the depth. I can also say that the F75 is much quieter than it was before the upgrade.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI:
Garrett GTA 1000 = 7khz
Garrett GTA 500 = 7khz
Whites Coinmaster GT = 8khz
Whites Eagls Sl = 7khz
Whites DFX = 3khz 15khz
Fisher F75 = 13khz

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got to try out my Upgraded F75 LTD, It was over 80 today and the ground was nice and moist. I finally found that silver dime I buried 5 years ago 6" deep that I could not find. It was right in the area I thought it was. THe long drought killed the depth. I can also say that the F75 is much quieter than it was before the upgrade.

Probably not the right terminology but dont forget you can reset your F75 to turn off the upgrade and to turn it back on.

I found mine is deeper without the DST, but it is a lot more enjoyable detecting with DST enabled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread