Interesting post by Dave Johnson - chief engineer at Fisher, Teknetics, and BH

SteveP (NH)

May 19, 2003
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across this post Dave Johnson made on another forum about a month ago. I frequent several detector forums and hadn't seen it before so I am reposting it here so more people can see it, I apologize if I am reposting something you have read before. Hope you find it as interesting as I did......

FISHER, BOUNTY HUNTER, AND TEKNETICS:
SETTING THE RECORD REASONABLY STRAIGHT
5 Feb 09 Dave Johnson Chief Designer, Fisher Research Labs & First Texas Products

There's been a lot of nonsense posted on the forums about the relationship between Fisher, Bounty Hunter, and Teknetics. The nonsense doesn't seem to be getting cleared up through normal forum self-discipline, so I've decided to intervene with information from "the factory".

Fisher and BH/Tek (First Texas Products) are two separate business units which operate under the same roof and utilize mostly the same people. The product history of these two business units is different.

The present Bounty Hunter and related products mostly evolved from George Payne's designs of the 1980's. During the 1990's under a different company, the BH trademark earned a reputation for terrible quality. First Texas Products purchased the BH line in 1999 and got to work improving the manufacturing operations. After Dave Johnson came on board in 2003, the products were completely redesigned inside for improved performance and reliability, even though most were unchanged externally. Bounty Hunter is now, and has been for years, a quality product which offers excellent value. And if you trace out the circuit of (for instance) the venerable Quick Draw II or Time Ranger, you'll still see the "Payne target ID circuit" which was at the heart of the original Teknetics.

The Teknetics T2 introduced in 2006 was a totally new metal detector from the ground up, not based on any earlier design. The senior designer was Dave Johnson, and John Gardiner wrote the software. We called it Teknetics because we owned the trademark and because the goal was to be on the leading edge of metal detector technology and performance, just as it was with the original Teknetics.

Dave Johnson was the senior electronics engineer for Fisher (in California) from 1981 to 1995. Of the legacy Fisher products we still manufacture, most are Johnson designs. In 2006 the investment group here in El Paso bought Fisher from its parent company COHU, and moved operations to El Paso. Since that time we have introduced several new Fisher products. The F75 & F70 were major revisions of the T2 platform. The F4 & F2 are major revisions of a BH type platform which is a modern descendant of the original Teknetics designed by Payne. On these new products, Dave was the chief designer and John wrote most of the software. Nothing to be ashamed of there!

For several years we've had under development a totally new platform for use in products which don't have to push the extreme leading edge of performance. That platform was first brought into production as the BH Gold and Platinum. With major revisions it became the Fisher F5, and with further revisions the platform became the Teknetics Delta, Gamma, and Omega. Dave was the chief designer for all these products, but most of the actual development work was done by Jorge Anton Saad with assistance from other engineers.

SUMMARIZING: back in the Stone Age, Bounty Hunter, Teknetics, and Fisher were completely different products from unrelated companies. In 2009, these are brand names of mixed ancestry which became relatives through acquisition. Within the present extended family, there are several different basic platforms, and more platforms are under development. In the Fisher line, there is continuity of design engineering going all the way back to 1981.

DO WE EVER MAKE MISTAKES? Yep. In the last several years we've come out with more new products than the rest of the industry put together. If we had done nothing, we'd be out of business, but at least we wouldn't have made any mistakes along the way!

WHERE ARE OUR METAL DETECTORS MADE? Almost without exception, our metal detectors are manufactured in the United States. Most of our circuit assembly is done in Juarez just across the river, in plants just as modern as you'd expect to find in the USA. Several legacy Fisher models were manufactured in the Orient rather than in California: new Fisher management terminated that arrangement. One high volume low end BH platform series of products is manufactured both in the USA and overseas, giving us some flexibility on that particular platform.

NOW, ABOUT THAT NONSENSE:

Here's a brief sampling of the sort of malarkey that I occasionally see posted in forums. Some of this is so outright stupid you might think I'm making it up. Nope, I've seen all this on the forums, and lots else besides.

"Bounty Hunter is cheap junk." .....(was true a few years ago, but no more)
"BH bought Fisher in order to run it into the ground." .....(with Dave J. as the chief designer? Get serious!)
"The new Fishers and Teknetics are just rebadged Bounty Hunters." .....(hasn't happened yet, but if it does it's a good thing, not a bad thing)
"The new Fishers and Teknetics are made with the same parts as the BH's, so it's all junk." ......(we buy the same high quality electronic components that everyone else does)
"The new Fishers aren't 'real Fishers' ". ......(being new makes things not real?)
"They're all made in China, that's why they're junk." ......(made in China = junk? Where do you think most electronic stuff is made these days?)
"They're all made in Mexico in chicken-shed maquiladoras." ......(nope, someone's imagination is 'way too vivid)
"They cut costs by hiring a bunch of illegal aliens." .....(why bother? There are plenty of people here legally, experienced in the electronics industry, and willing to work)
"The person I talked to on the phone had a Mexican accent, must be stupid." .....(smarter than you think, and speaks better Spanish than you do, too)
"The 'old Fisher' did everything right, now look what happened!" ......(the "old Fisher" was a basket case, that's why COHU got rid of it)

There are sometimes posts about new products by people who hardly know anything, and are mostly just making up a bunch of stuff.

Sometimes forum denizens claim we do this or that for some particular reason, when in fact they know nothing of our reasons.

And then there's posts which demand that we say why we do this or that. We don't sell "whys", and therefore don't publish very much information about them. We sell metal detectors and do publish information about them.

There have been posts by people who were happy with their machine until we came out with an improved version, and then they're mad at us….. gee, if they want a metal detector with a guarantee that the company which manufactured it won't ever come out with anything new or improved, we're definitely the wrong company! They need to buy a Compass on Ebay, then they're safe.

A forum is place of discussion and disagreement, sometimes vigorous debate. There is no perfect metal detector, no two people have exactly the same preferences: therefore a machine that some people love, some other people will not like at all. So, some posts are going to be quite critical of our products. The negative posts which are based on reason comprise a valuable source of information for guiding development of new products. Heck, there are things about some of our products that even I don't like. Sometimes I print out a critical post from the forum, take it to company management, and say "See, I told you so." I don't have anything against a post being critical.

HOWEVER:

I have no respect for posts which deliberately spread misinformation about us and our products.

I don't even have respect for posts which deliberately spread misinformation about our competitors and their products. I've worked for several of those competitors, and on the whole I regard them favorably. Many beeperists own and use metal detectors from several different manufacturers.

I have no respect for posts by people who want to complain just for the sake of complaining, about things which are not problems.

I have no respect for posts by people who want to complain about something that is a problem, and love complaining so much that they then complain about attempts to resolve the problem.

I have no respect for posts which are not for the purpose of engaging in discussion of metal detecting, but rather are for the purpose of creating and maintaining personal conflict quite to the disgust of others in the forum.

There are probably quite a few forum denizens whose list of stuff they'd rather not see clogging up the forum is just about the same as my list.

There. I done said my piece.

--Dave J.

PS: The overwhelming majority of the posts in metal detector forums are worthwhile contributions to the hobby, and for that I am grateful.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
haha

I really like this one: ""They're all made in Mexico in chicken-shed maquiladoras." ;D That's hilarious!

I'm glad they did mention that some parts are made elsewhere...thus the "ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO" stickers inside on the F75 boards shown by some. Personally, there ain't no way I'm opening up my F70 to see ;D

I know I really like my F70! It's sweet! In fact, even with just indoor testings I'm already like 90% convinced it rocks.

Thanks for posting this. :thumbsup:

Badger

P.S. If a detector works great I don't care if it was made in President Hu Jintao bedroom.

Thank you for this post. It was nice to hear from the company I have been supporting for so many years until they were taken over. The proof is in the pudding. I don't think there were as many spreading misinformation as there were unsatisfied customers. Everyone has a right to express their concerns. It's called freedom of speech. This whole thing is like me finding out my favorite sporting goods store just got bought out by Wal-mart. Its a valid concern. If Fisher introduced a machine like the 1266X or better, then I would be the first in line! I hear way more glowing reports about Minelab products than the new Fishers so what do ya think my next machine is gonna be? I am a hardcore relic hunter and Fisher used to be the leader of the pack for this field. Sure, maybe they make good coin hunting machines now, but so does everyone else. If I wanted to be a coin hunter, I would buy a Whites again. Tesoro is still similar to what Fisher used to be like, maybe I should try one of those machines next. 5 years ago, I wouldn't dare think of buying anything other than a Fisher. Now, well what can I say? I really value all of the opinions expressed by those who own a new Fisher. It's about time the company filled us in on what's going on with them. It still doesn't change the fact that there were a lot of unsatisfied customers. That kind of feedback is why I haven't bought a new Fisher. It doesn't mean that I am not open to change my mind on the matter, only time will tell with that. Until then, Long live the 1266X!!!!
Dave.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
To: Dave Johnson Chief Designer, Fisher Research Labs & First Texas Products; And ,I, Sir, have no respect for a company who waits several years to address known problems, as you yourself have admitted to being aware of "the nonsense" posted on the many forums, (If the problems with earlier F-75's had been properly addressed, and by that I mean your company making so called "upgrades", which should have properly been called revisions, as the product clearly lacked these well needed "upgrades" upon release), and then have the audacity to charge the consumer to repair what was so obviously lacking in the "finished product", and add insult to injury by calling this charade an "upgrade". Also, if by "The nonsense doesn't seem to be getting cleared up through normal forum self-discipline", you mean the folks who aren't satisfied with remaining silent about unsatisfactory products, (i.e., the "non upgraded" F-75, I'll fairly and gladly give credit to your company for addressing these problems with the later models, BUT the consumer shouldn't have to pay for a product to become reasonably operational, after initial purchase!), or are upset that moderators aren't stopping folks from expressing an exchange of opinion and knowledge, then you, Sir, must be blind to the fact that if this "nonsense" held no truth, it would die a natural death of exclusion. Agreed, some folks post about things "heard of", instead of experienced, and some of this IS nonsense. However, just because consumers do not follow your company like sheep, and feast on all that we are fed, this DOES NOT equate with nonsense. From myself, a consumer of your products, you may consider; Folks have NO obligation to buy your product, we have done so by choice, and by choice, if you are as ungrateful to the few with legitimate complaints, (and your company IS WELL AWARE they are legitimate, or wouldn't have designed the "upgrades") as it would appear, then we can just as easily choose another manufacturer of detectors, and if that is what you are actually saying, then do not disguise your true intent by accusing those who disagree with you, and insult their intelligence, by labeling their response as "nonsense"! Be responsible enough to stand up and speak your intent like a man! I welcome you to p.m. me at this website, and will happily supply my full name, address, and telphone number, and/or email, as yourself, Sir, I have no problem owning up to my post, for I WILL NOT speak so directly to a person, and as only cowards do, remain anonymous. Regards, Richard P.S., I live in THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA, so couldn't care less about how well your phone techs speak Spanish! Just another way that you show your regard for your consumers! P.P.S., As a matter of fact, if you weren't the self absorbed person you appear to be, you would realize that some of the most intelligent folks you could ever hope to meet are right here on this forum you speak so disdainfully of! More than a few of us are fluent in three or more languages, but why should one have to be in order to speak to one of your representatives? Because you, or, THE COMPANY says so? Means less than nothing to me!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the post Steve! :thumbsup: Muddyhandz, Obviously, I totally agree with you! :thumbsup: Great hunting and good luck, all!! Regards, Richard

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stuck my neck out and bought one of the F-75's when they had first come out (mine was Spring of '07) and I'm still glad I did. Did not have an older Fisher so I had no grudge or axe to grind with the new management. I was torn between the F-75 and a Minelab Soverign with the add-on display. The fellow I knew with a Soverign has since switched to an F-75. :D

When the upgrade came along I sent mine in. Nice of them to upgrade the v 1.0 units. If only car manufacturers did that.

Still a darned capable unit in a light package that is soft on batteries and a great detector with blindingly fast response in the areas I hunt.

Love mine.

OzarkTom

Greenie
Jun 21, 2008
Guess that just leaves more of the good stuff for me to find. No complaints here on the F70-F75. Fastest detectors in the west, east, north, and south.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie P. (NY) said:
I stuck my neck out and bought one of the F-75's when they had first come out (mine was Spring of '07) and I'm still glad I did. Did not have an older Fisher so I had no grudge or axe to grind with the new management. I was torn between the F-75 and a Minelab Soverign with the add-on display. The fellow I knew with a Soverign has since switched to an F-75. :D

When the upgrade came along I sent mine in. Nice of them to upgrade the v 1.0 units. If only car manufacturers did that.

Still a darned capable unit in a light package that is soft on batteries and a great detector with blindingly fast response in the areas I hunt.

Love mine.

Your post brings out a good point. Not all buyers of the first F75 machines were unhappy. I've emailed back and forth with several who got the first ones off the boat (so ta speak). Many still have them and love them.

Back in the spring of 08 when things were really wild against Fisher, a friend emailed me to say he didn't get it at all. To him the F75 was absolutely awesome.

So, some were bad and others weren't??? I don't know. ???

Badger

OzarkTom

Greenie
Jun 21, 2008
If any of you have noticed, it is making other detector companies update their offerings. The Quattro was replaced by the Safari with faster response, the E-Trac has a faster response than the Explorer, and the new Whites Vision is promising a faster detector than any of the other Whites. Some here will disagree, but I say it is because of the F70-F75-T2 units by Dave Johnson and First Texas.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tom, as Badger stated, some WERE good, I purchased one of the first ones made, as did a few of my friends, all but two work great, EXCEPT in town, where none work as well as the '70. I very much agree, the new design of the '75-'70-T2, has had a very positive effect on the industry as a whole! At any rate, I'm glad the newer '75's are much better! :thumbsup: Great hunting and good luck, all! Regards, Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread