Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do road trips anymore but everytime I'm at a bank for whatever reason, whether a box pickup or to do actual banking (lol), I glance in the teller tray. Honestly, I've had some good luck. The best time being looking down and seeing just tons of silver, quarters and halves. In that case I just asked if I could buy the halves and quarters he had in his tray, and he said "do you mean these ones (pointing to the silver)? they're silver so you might want them, some guy brought them in here and said a pawn shop told him they weren't worth anything :laughing7:." my guess is that he picked one representative coin to show them which was clad, and assumed none of his 'older' coins were worth anything. Anyways, most of the time I see nothing, so I would never bother to ask for loose coins that I can't see, chances are they are duds. However, if you have a good eye, you can grab teller tray silver about 1 out of 20 bank stops. usually the lonely quarter or dime. I don't try to pull one over on them, I just say "hey, can I buy that old dime in your tray, I collect them." nothing is worse than putting on a rouse, just be honest. But realize you don't have to say "hey I see silver in your tray, can I buy it that's worth a lot and I hoard them and...!"

Straightforward and nonchalant wins the game, you DONT want the teller to think THEY lost out by selling you a coin, you want them to feel good about helping a collector. And remember, last word of advice about teller tray silver. If a teller collects silver, it will NOT be in their teller tray, but will be hidden somewhere. so if it's in the teller tray they'll always (at least almost) give it up. Also remember, WE are crazy about silver and silver coins, the rest of the public doesn't see it the same way, and often will give them up with no problems, as long as you don't make a big deal of it.

Happy hunting! work on spotting those dimes! and no I haven't found a war nickel yet, but I'm pretty sure I spotted one in a tray once and I didn't ask for it because the tellers were busy counting my half boxes, and at the time I was finding a lot of 40%ers and figured it wasn't worth annoying them for a fraction of the price of a silver kennedy

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think almost all the tellers I deal with in my area collect silver. I haven't spotted the first silver in a teller tray. I always look though. One teller I deal with collects coins and she's even familiar with war nickels so I'd say nothing gets past her. She's really nice though and easy on the eyes! :icon_thumleft:

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't do road trips anymore but everytime I'm at a bank for whatever reason, whether a box pickup or to do actual banking (lol), I glance in the teller tray. Honestly, I've had some good luck. The best time being looking down and seeing just tons of silver, quarters and halves. In that case I just asked if I could buy the halves and quarters he had in his tray, and he said "do you mean these ones (pointing to the silver)? they're silver so you might want them, some guy brought them in here and said a pawn shop told him they weren't worth anything :laughing7:." my guess is that he picked one representative coin to show them which was clad, and assumed none of his 'older' coins were worth anything. Anyways, most of the time I see nothing, so I would never bother to ask for loose coins that I can't see, chances are they are duds. However, if you have a good eye, you can grab teller tray silver about 1 out of 20 bank stops. usually the lonely quarter or dime. I don't try to pull one over on them, I just say "hey, can I buy that old dime in your tray, I collect them." nothing is worse than putting on a rouse, just be honest. But realize you don't have to say "hey I see silver in your tray, can I buy it that's worth a lot and I hoard them and...!"

Straightforward and nonchalant wins the game, you DONT want the teller to think THEY lost out by selling you a coin, you want them to feel good about helping a collector. And remember, last word of advice about teller tray silver. If a teller collects silver, it will NOT be in their teller tray, but will be hidden somewhere. so if it's in the teller tray they'll always (at least almost) give it up. Also remember, WE are crazy about silver and silver coins, the rest of the public doesn't see it the same way, and often will give them up with no problems, as long as you don't make a big deal of it.

Happy hunting! work on spotting those dimes! and no I haven't found a war nickel yet, but I'm pretty sure I spotted one in a tray once and I didn't ask for it because the tellers were busy counting my half boxes, and at the time I was finding a lot of 40%ers and figured it wasn't worth annoying them for a fraction of the price of a silver kennedy

Very good answer SFB. Only thing I don't agree with is that I've seen a few posts on here about sniping tellers who do keep silver in their tray, and then refuse to sell it when Mr goodeye crh comes along. This is just cruel. If they are going to keep it they should hide it.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only managed to get one war nickel from a teller's tray. It was one of only a few and laying with it's reverse up, so I could see the mint mark above the dome. But, whenever I see a darkish/slightly greenish-tinted nickel rim, I buy them all.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good answer SFB. Only thing I don't agree with is that I've seen a few posts on here about sniping tellers who do keep silver in their tray, and then refuse to sell it when Mr goodeye crh comes along. This is just cruel. If they are going to keep it they should hide it.

very good point, I've had this happen once or twice myself, it's the worst!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread