Questions on 1909-S VDB Wheat Penny

taltexan

Feb 9, 2010
I dug this coin yesterday along with several other wheat's and 3 silver dimes. Didn't know what I had until I started to clean the wheat's. Coin is in relativity good condition. Any idea to a realistic value and would olive oil remove the remaining dirt without harming the value of coin? Thanks

Attachments

• DSC04531.jpg
    DSC04531.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,654
  • DSC04532.jpg
    DSC04532.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,573
Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Don't do anything to it whatsoever. Any cleaning will detract from it's value. There is a grading service that can do "preservation", but I don't recall which one it is. Someone on here will chime in.

Bottom line--Don't clean it!!!

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not screw around with a coin like that. Put it in a 2x2 flip and call it good. :evil5:

Cable

Dec 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
mxt, dfx, gmt,f75ltd, f5, gold bug, bhid
As it has been said before------do not clean it anymore. The grade is a good fine and maybe a veryfine or even better depending on a more close up and the amount of dirt that is on it. NGC has a resortation program so you should talk to them. A very fine in the 2010 Red Book is listed at 1200.00 which is a bit high===you never know. A really good find-----congrats

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a sweet find. :thumbsup: I'd leave it as is, rather than risk damage.

Even with the grading service that does preservation things can go bad. I recall a member on here that sent in a nice, 1877 Indian I believe, that came back ruined. I'll see if I can find the thread.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its worth a pretty penny, thats for sure. According to the 2011 redbook, in G-4 worn condition, its worth $850. Only 484,000 made against almost 28 Million for the regular VDB and G-4 of $12.

Does this let you know what coin you have !! :hello2:

OP
OP
T

taltexan

Feb 9, 2010
Thanks for all the replies and information, will not go any further with the cleaning....lol

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah no need to clean. That thing is beautiful. Congrats on a great find. :notworthy:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Your first step should be getting it authenticated to make sure it's not an added "S". These coins are heavily faked. Try taking it to your local coin shop for review. Or, if you'd like, I can post these pics over on the PCGS chat forums for the members there to review.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
I collect wheat pennies and have been for over 30 yrs. That is the holy grail of wheat penny lore . !955 DD comes in second. rob :coffee2:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FORGET THE GRADING SERVICES and ESPECIALLY NGC!! :tongue3: That coin needs nothing. Looks like it has wonderful patina, and is in very high grade condition. BUT....REMEMBER.....It is a GROUND FOUND COPPER! Eventhough it is wonderful condition, collectors will only pay premiums on NON-DUG COINS! The RED BOOK is a GUIDE.....Nothing More. That is one GREAT LOOKING, Key Date, wheatie! Congrats............Hogge P.S. If it were mine.....It would be on EBAY with a reserve of $500. Anything gained above that is a PLUS! That is.....If you were a seller like me! ;D

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Many good points have been brought up here. If I were you I would take the coin to a local coin shop to have it authenticated and ask what his/her opinion is concerning the grade if you want to sell it on ebay or something. I would refrain from sending the coin graded by PCGS or anyone else. If you do, most likely it will be stamped with environmental damage and possibly improperly cleaned which translates to bad news for you even though it's a nice looking coin. If the coin is authentic then big congrats for an AWESOME penny find!!! :notworthy: :headbang:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worldtalker said:
You can get the MD ya always wanted!!!!!
he already has the best....an etrac!!!!
I would send it to ANACS to have it authenicated, they will grade and slab dug coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread