Questions Regarding Proper Etiquette and Signals

Rippin Lips

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2013
It has been quite a while since my first post on this site. Since my first post I have been out detecting/ panning about 6 times with no luck, just bag fulls of squar nails. On my last outing on Friday, I was working my way up stream taking test pans along the creek with not a single color in the pan. After about 2 hours I finish what I was going to call my last pan and head back. Luckily I turned around so my back was to the water and noticed a lot of big quartz veins. So I figured I would take a test pan along the side of a long exposed quartz vein. Each of the 3 pans I did had 10-15 small specs with an occational bigger spec.

With all the fine gold I ended up walking back to my car and grabbing my Whites GMT. When I got back to the spot I started scanning along the quartz and all the exposed rock. I picked up faint signals here and there with some good signals as well. The only signals I dug were ones that were in compacted cracks. This was because I dont know the proper Etiquette for searching for gold that could be deep in rocks.

Now for my main reason for this post. Question 1: If you detect a signal in a crack and move material what does it mean when the signal dissapears and cant be found again? Is it a false positive? It happend a couple times and I scanned the material and crack thourally. Question 2: When It comes to signals that are faint and In rock/seem to be within quartz, is it ok to just go crazy with a pick and start busting all the rock and quartz up?

Thanks for taking the time to read/ comment.

Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Without seeing the conditions where you were sampling and hearing your “signals”… I can’t be more definite… but here are some possibilities…

Question One: (a) possibly the material collected within the crack had quite a different ground (phase) balance and / or a very different magnetism from the quartz… thus giving off a “signal”. Move that material away from the quartz, and now it's just dirt… no different from the surrounding ground. (b) possibly you used autotracking instead of manual ground balance while doing repetitive coil swings over the “signal”… stick with manual GB for sampling quartz.. (c) possibly flypoop gold that was lost, although I doubt it from your description.

Question Two: So long as no person or agency (ownership / stewardship) can possibly object, there is no reason why you shouldn’t check out a signal or two to see what gives. Go for a shallow signal, use cracks to advantage, and chip it off with a rockhammer / chisel… use a small handheld three or five lb sledgehammer as required to get the job done. Do it in a systematic, organized way… don’t just chaotically smash the living crap out of a rock. :)

Maybe one of our goldhunters can give you the benefit of a similar experience…

Jim.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been quite a while since my first post on this site. Since my first post I have been out detecting/ panning about 6 times with no luck, just bag fulls of squar nails. On my last outing on Friday, I was working my way up stream taking test pans along the creek with not a single color in the pan. After about 2 hours I finish what I was going to call my last pan and head back. Luckily I turned around so my back was to the water and noticed a lot of big quartz veins. So I figured I would take a test pan along the side of a long exposed quartz vein. Each of the 3 pans I did had 10-15 small specs with an occational bigger spec.

With all the fine gold I ended up walking back to my car and grabbing my Whites GMT. When I got back to the spot I started scanning along the quartz and all the exposed rock. I picked up faint signals here and there with some good signals as well. The only signals I dug were ones that were in compacted cracks. This was because I dont know the proper Etiquette for searching for gold that could be deep in rocks.

Now for my main reason for this post. Question 1: If you detect a signal in a crack and move material what does it mean when the signal dissapears and cant be found again? Is it a false positive? It happend a couple times and I scanned the material and crack thourally. Question 2: When It comes to signals that are faint and In rock/seem to be within quartz, is it ok to just go crazy with a pick and start busting all the rock and quartz up?

Thanks for taking the time to read/ comment.
I would get a small vacume and as you chip or dig the crevice with a ice pick type tool, draw up the small stuff and pan it out or use a "Blue Bowl", I made my own with a cut in half 5 gal bucket and bonded a funel with JB weld and ran a tube to the side at a 45 degree angle for a "Venturi effect" and the light lose stuff drained leaving the gold. Go to "Google" for "How to make your own bluebowl. Good luck friend.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread