Quick Hunt...100 Year Old Silver

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time this would have really made my day...I wish it could be like that again. Still, it's silver and could have easily been 300 years old based in the area I was hunting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415570262.816691.jpg

Upvote 10

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what you mean. You just having looked at a nice tree shilling doesn't help.

Everything is relative, at least you got out, had a chance, and found something, a silver at that.
I didn't get out, had no chance at all.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good looking 10 cent piece! HH!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what you mean. You just having looked at a nice tree shilling doesn't help.

Everything is relative, at least you got out, had a chance, and found something, a silver at that.
I didn't get out, had no chance at all.

Well be thankful you guys likely have the best chance of all Canadians of coming up with a tree coin. In combined years we have a whole lot more to go so who knows, it just might happen.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How things change in a few years and a fist full of great finds, a hundred year old silver doesn't cut the mustard any longer. It would still get a nice feeling out of me, then again that's just me, but hey congrats on the nice looking silver anyways.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No matter how you feel, I love it.

Thanks for sharing :)
Congrats, nonetheless

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How things change in a few years and a fist full of great finds, a hundred year old silver doesn't cut the mustard any longer. It would still get a nice feeling out of me, then again that's just me, but hey congrats on the nice looking silver anyways.

Yes those spoiled brats in NS. ;)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It must be terrible to be so successful that you could care less about a beauty like that, lol. Not sure I'd wish that affliction upon myself as I am still having fun with ANY silver find. Congrats.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Even 100 year old finds have value

That age of coins don't show up too often where colonial finds are, those king George 10c are old now

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time this would have really made my day...I wish it could be like that again. Still, it's silver and could have easily been 300 years old based in the area I was hunting.

Now it's probably making sense why several years back I seemed a bit jaded for some things you thought were pretty good finds. In a way the really great stuff ruins the rest a little, but it is a good problem to have! :thumbsup:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now it's probably making sense why several years back I seemed a bit jaded for some things you thought were pretty good finds. In a way the really great stuff ruins the rest a little, but it is a good problem to have! :thumbsup:

I guess poor ole Abe has this to look forward to. Poor guy, I feel sorry for him already:icon_scratch:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess poor ole Abe has this to look forward to. Poor guy, I feel sorry for him already:icon_scratch:

Well after that a Barber dime doesn't look quite so hot! I still like finding any larger copper or silver coin because it adds to my display. Only a very small % of my coins are separate, and a very small % of those in 2x2s... the rest are just in a big pile. :)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope someday to say I have a big pile, lol!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm sure he was happy to walk away with a silver of any kind like I would be too.

BUT, in metal detecting, much like any other addiction, the finds produce the rush, like the shot of herion to the junkie, or the big win for the gambler. Bigger, better, older finds produce a bigger rush, after you've had those you just "can't get high" on what you used to.

I feel sorry for Abe too. Notice how he said he had to walk around a bit to catch his breath, well he was wasted high, and he may never achieve that "buzz" again.

Does that analogy make any sense ? as it seems everyone does consider MDing an addiction.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure he was happy to walk away with a silver of any kind like I would be too.

BUT, in metal detecting, much like any other addiction, the finds produce the rush, like the shot of herion to the junkie, or the big win for the gambler. Bigger, better, older finds produce a bigger rush, after you've had those you just "can't get high" on what you used to.

I feel sorry for Abe too. Notice how he said he had to walk around a bit to catch his breath, well he was wasted high, and he may never achieve that "buzz" again.

Does that analogy make any sense ? as it seems everyone does consider MDing an addiction.

It's possible to catch that rush again. I've probably had it at least half a dozen times.... but I think in can vary in degree depending on many factors. If Abe goes out tomorrow back to the same spot and digs a Spanish gold escudo I don't think he'd be cool as a cucumber about it. :)

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong everyone...I was pleased to walk out with this...but when you're on an OLD site and you get an unmistakably silver signal and flip the plug and see dirty silver it's a little disappointing when it's not old Spanish or French. Especially since I've found 1600s silver on this site prior...about the same size as a dime!

As dug...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415581531.665781.jpg

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong everyone...I was pleased to whine out with this...but when you're on an OLD site and you get an unmistakably silver signal and flip the plug and see dirty silver it's a little disappointing when it's not old Spanish or French. Especially since I've found 1600s silver on this site prior...about the same size as a dime!

As dug...
Good find bud. As I was walking out today I was thinking about this very thing. That tree coin was at the tippy top of my list. Then it hit me. There's GW buttons and there's so many great military buttons out there. A gold coin. Who knows what but theres so many incredible finds sitting in the ground waiting for us. I remember going to the site that I found a Mass cent at. I got a beautiful big silver coin hit. I was damn excited. Out comes a 1949 Washington quarter. I was bummed for a minute then reality hit me. I'm outside on a day off doing what I love and I just found a big silver coin. That's an awesome day in my book. So I totally understand how you feel. But I bet this was a fun day and you didn't get skunked. And you're one hole closer to the next great find

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting