Quick Hunt with questions....

B

BiggusDiggus

Was camping near a CW battlefield-located a patch of woods not on Govt property-Figure id throw the coil down for the last hour and a half of the day..Found some interesting relics and current garbage(not included)-Relics included various shotshells-Very interesting small crotal bell(?) with some decorations, not sure if CW era....Also what appears to be lead of some nature possibly mixed with a another metal? Did a little research in hopes that it might be a minie ball?? Noticed that some bullets of the era were mixed with Zinc? it weighs in at 26grams, so if I did the conversion correctly it should be 401 grains?? Also tried to find a conversion for weight to bore diameter? all I could find is the possibility of around .637 caliber and up??? I know its mangled and I might be wishful thinking, but....Any suggestions/conjecture appreciated..Glad I chanced it-More research to come..Good Luck and HH!!

007.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG

Upvote 1

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Melted lead is very often found from campfires. On a few occasions I have found melted lead with percussion caps (brass) unmelted stuck in the lead. But I guess if the fire was hot enough . . .

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Ehh....Yeah probably wishful thinking..Was hoping the lead blob would be something, but lead might be all it is...Regardless the hunt was fun and the finds are interesting....Need to do more troop movement prior to battles research....Find some campsites....Anywho..HH!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Those old shotgun shell bases ring up near zinc pennies on the AT Pro, but the tone is a bit weaker and scratchy. Not bright and solid. Is this the same for the Gold? Beautiful color on the crotal.:icon_thumright:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Thanks for the love!! Old dude-I find that in Disc1 w/iron disc @ 25 - I get solid midtone 52 everytime on the old paper shot shell bases- the newer shells with the plastic I get higher mixed readings up to a quarter signal-Ive only found one squashed brass 12ga so far and cant recall the # id...I don't believe ive found any zinc pennies yet..do you mean the newest penny with the shield?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions