Quick hunt yields Civil War Eagle Breast Plate!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to recon a new site this morning. Almost twice, I tried to talk myself out of going until I finally just went for it. I knew this site would most likely not be colonial, but was hoping for mid to early 1800's. I have had luck in this general area looking for relics including some from the 1600's. I spent an hour roaming around checking likely spots and then BAM hit an iron patch. I continued to work it producing an axe head (early one too) fly covers to early padlocks, other odds and ends - nothing that had my complete attention. That was until I decided to turn back along the backside of one other ridge where out of no where popped up this nice Eagle plate. It was only 3-4" down and when it rolled out, i was sure it was another smashed tin can. Once I bent down to pick it up and felt the weight, i just knew what I had found. This is my second one in the last couple of months and are always fun to find.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20141101_105827_335.jpg
    IMG_20141101_105827_335.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0918.JPG
    DSC_0918.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 172
Upvote 14

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic recovery Dan, that's a real monster.
ZDD

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love how nonchalant you are having found that piece. If I found it I would be a content metal detectorist for at least a month or two....LOL Wonderful find!!!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love how nonchalant you are having found that piece. If I found it I would be a content metal detectorist for at least a month or two....LOL Wonderful find!!!

Ha ha, trust me, I was thrilled, very surprised indeed and enjoyed finding it.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You and Bill must have sites on par with the British ones! Congrats to you.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic!!!!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score Dan! Did your research indicate a camp there? If not then you and Bill are kings of the great random finds.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking plate Dan! Your hitting some really nice stuff this season.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save there Dan!

Spectacular for a "short" hunt

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score Dan! Did your research indicate a camp there? If not then you and Bill are kings of the great random finds.

There was troop activity in the area and I have found CW items randomly around the area at different sites...CS troops camped and skirmished down this road and US troops camped along it in various places. I do like the random finds though ha ha

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and an early looking eagle. Any idea how old it is?

Just noticed you said Civil War. My bad. It just looks earlier to me, but I was going by the eagles on the historical flasks.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to show, NEVER listen to yourself if you try talking yourself out of goin' out.....Nice one, love the patina!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and an early looking eagle. Any idea how old it is?

Just noticed you said Civil War. My bad. It just looks earlier to me, but I was going by the eagles on the historical flasks.

It is more like the 1826 pattern, but it is a civil war plate. They regulation was passed in 1826, though the vast majority of them were produced in the 1850s-1865.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful,complete, eagle breast plate Dan! Its just great when something unexpected turns up. Was the plate found in a farm field? If so, it would be remarkable for such a plate to survive years of plowing. The two that I've found were both damaged, with much of the lead backing no longer remaining.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful,complete, eagle breast plate Dan! Its just great when something unexpected turns up. Was the plate found in a farm field? If so, it would be remarkable for such a plate to survive years of plowing. The two that I've found were both damaged, with much of the lead backing no longer remaining.

wooded area...has some rust showing through and the back is hacked up a bit (not from me, but the original owner cut several channels in the back)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Don't forget that huge 8 reale cob that you found last year that was totally unexpected.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
It doesn't seem to matter whether you're hunting close to home or on the road as you always seem to put yourself onto some great relics. Congrats on your little surprise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread