Quick hunt yields Civil War Eagle Breast Plate!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to recon a new site this morning. Almost twice, I tried to talk myself out of going until I finally just went for it. I knew this site would most likely not be colonial, but was hoping for mid to early 1800's. I have had luck in this general area looking for relics including some from the 1600's. I spent an hour roaming around checking likely spots and then BAM hit an iron patch. I continued to work it producing an axe head (early one too) fly covers to early padlocks, other odds and ends - nothing that had my complete attention. That was until I decided to turn back along the backside of one other ridge where out of no where popped up this nice Eagle plate. It was only 3-4" down and when it rolled out, i was sure it was another smashed tin can. Once I bent down to pick it up and felt the weight, i just knew what I had found. This is my second one in the last couple of months and are always fun to find.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20141101_105827_335.jpg
    IMG_20141101_105827_335.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0918.JPG
    DSC_0918.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 172
Upvote 14

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome dig! Congrats!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Always fun to find..." Fer cryin' out loud, yer KILLIN' me here! That is fantastic! Hoping to "roll one out" myself one day . . . Congrats!
With the stuff you are finding, you will find more than one and probably sooner than later. Keep at it man.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't seem to matter whether you're hunting close to home or on the road as you always seem to put yourself onto some great relics. Congrats on your little surprise.

Research as you know is key...I had that place pegged and found it within a short amount of time and it looks like it will fit the date range that I was expecting...though one of the lock fly covers that I dug was earlier....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread