Quick hunt yields two first for the newbie with my "old timy" detector!

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had just a few minutes to kill between obligations today so I stopped at the local high-school and parked near the ticket gates to the ball field. After a few minutes I decided to turn my discrimination as high as it would go and just coin shoot. I found a little clad then got a half dollar reading at three inchess...I just knew it would be a crumbled up can....but not today! My very first half dollar, a 1979, i'll take it! Then I turned to my left and swumg and go a low nicket target show up on the screen. Normally with the discrimination that high you dont pick up anything but coins or silver. I almost didnt dig but something told me why not....3" down this beauty popped out in my hand, my first real ring and its a class ring at that! I assume its made out of pewter. I will post the markings in the hopes someone can tell me how to find the owner and get it back to them. What a great hunt!
IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2690.JPG IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2705.JPG

(edit)The markings are as follows "SA 124077-2-4" then the initials "LGB" (edit) Also has a P+. Is this possible platinum or white gold??? Help!!

Any ideas on how to use this info? It's a A.C. Flora High School ring Class of 1977

THanks for looking! P.S. I know these finds aren't that spectacular compared to some post on here, thanks for letting me share my "treasures" with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 6

mtruxfan

May 5, 2013
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
BH QD2, Sea Hunter Mark 2, ACE 350, Garret ProPointer, SS Long Handle scoop
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pulled up A.C. Flora HS, it looks like its in Columbia. Maybe contact them with your story and they should be able to provide alot of info that you need. Good finds by the way.

OP
OP
ArthurC

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you mtruxfan, will do. I always have a blast even if all I find is a few pennies!

OP
OP
ArthurC

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Andy, I hope they are the first of many! It cant be a penny every time, right? LOL

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats! ;)

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice class ring. it's hard to believe that it's not 10k white gold. the price of gold hovered around 130 bucks an ounce in 1976, which is when the ring was likely ordered since they are usually ordered during the junior year in school, so it would have been priced maybe 60 to 80 bucks back then.

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean? Your finds are as great as all the others on here. We all have our own definition of "treasure". Might not be a rare old coin but they are still some cool finds in my book. Congrats on that nice ring!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I returned the Class ring I found the school pretty much did all the hard work just give them the Initials and if the ring shows a sport symbol you can give that also that usually means he/or she played a sport makes it easier determining owner if more than 1 person had those initials.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it's not gold? Looks shiny to me, pewter or pot metal would look a lot rougher than that after being in the ground...

OP
OP
ArthurC

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if it is white gold what markings would I look for? Its a very heavy ring and yes it is very shiny, all I did was wash the dirt off with a toothbrush. How can I check it?

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds congrats!

OP
OP
ArthurC

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i found another marking in it that says P+, any idea what that means?

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could the + be a T ? PT could = platinum

Also, I see a Larry Binyard graduated in 1977 from that school...If we could figure out his middle initial he might be a good candidate for your owner.

OP
OP
ArthurC

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is a P t ... but there's no other mark that shows karat weight. I have posted on their reunion website and sent an email to the school administrator. Hopefully I'll hear back from them. I wish I knew how to test it. Over the years the ring was ran over and nicked by the mower blade so it has a few gauges. I'm sure its priceless to the person who lost it. Rather interesting find for sure! I'm a newbie so i'm still learning about these things. Thanks for your input!

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on the internet in relation to platinum markings. They may not have the Karat weight marking.

"Platinum can be written as Platinum, Plat, PT, 900 or 950. The 900 means that it is 90% pure Platinum and 10% alloy. 950 means it is 95% pure Platinum and only 5% alloys mixed in"

Hope this helps...

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds/ treasures and on your endeavors to return it to the owner. Keep up the nice work and HH. yelnif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread