Quick hunt yields two first for the newbie with my "old timy" detector!

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had just a few minutes to kill between obligations today so I stopped at the local high-school and parked near the ticket gates to the ball field. After a few minutes I decided to turn my discrimination as high as it would go and just coin shoot. I found a little clad then got a half dollar reading at three inchess...I just knew it would be a crumbled up can....but not today! My very first half dollar, a 1979, i'll take it! Then I turned to my left and swumg and go a low nicket target show up on the screen. Normally with the discrimination that high you dont pick up anything but coins or silver. I almost didnt dig but something told me why not....3" down this beauty popped out in my hand, my first real ring and its a class ring at that! I assume its made out of pewter. I will post the markings in the hopes someone can tell me how to find the owner and get it back to them. What a great hunt!
IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2690.JPG IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2705.JPG

(edit)The markings are as follows "SA 124077-2-4" then the initials "LGB" (edit) Also has a P+. Is this possible platinum or white gold??? Help!!

Any ideas on how to use this info? It's a A.C. Flora High School ring Class of 1977

THanks for looking! P.S. I know these finds aren't that spectacular compared to some post on here, thanks for letting me share my "treasures" with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 6

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! It'll be really cool to return the ring, since the info is there.

Unlike expensive "high-end" jewelry like solitaires, etc., class rings were Never insured, so their loss was always a loss to whoever owned them. I've returned about a dozen rings over 20 years, and managed to track down every one except a 1941 silver class ring. Never could find the high school from the initials of the school on it. :(

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find for sure , great if you can return it to the former owner ! It sure looks like most of the other 10K gold class rings I've seen !

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Palladium is the metal I believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread