Quick trip to a colonial watering hole buttons and balls...

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a little while today to check out another area and it produced a few things. Between traffic getting there and weather in the afternoon, the hunt was about an hour and a half shorter than I thought it would be.

Even with that a few decent things surfaced. No coins on this trip, but there were plenty of buttons and lead balls of various calibers to take home. I ended the day with 7 buttons including two pewter cast buttons with brass wire shanks. One is plain while the other is cast in a cone or stone fashion. The small cuff buttons were all found in a small area and I believe there is plenty more there as the last one was an iffy signal and there were plenty of those.

The best find of the day was probably the early complete buckle (late 1600s-early 1700s). It was not going to last complete much longer as there is a good crack at the center and plenty of small cavities from the salt. The last find of the day was the brass item that I know I've seen before (and found) but forget what they are. Looks to be bent intentionally but not sure if for the purpose of by the person that ditched it.

The fired musket ball is unique as it certainly was a heavy impact but the back side has the impressions of the linen patch that would have been loaded behind the ball for better accuracy.

The shot are sizes from .36 to .72 showing again the various weapons at use during the time period.

Silver is waiting for me on the next trip.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    602.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    451.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    516.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    537.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    547.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    629.6 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 15
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick ID update this is a rev war era (or earlier) hanger to a sword or sword bayonet. See picture below.
frog.jpg

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see that water site is still producing, very nice collection of relics as usual

Thanks man, these are actually separate holes. I've got three I've been working on now for a couple of years. Change of scenery is always nice ;)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought that might be some kind of hanger, and glad you could specifically ID it. I know the tides have been a little frustrating lately, but soon you're gonna cash in on some more silver once you can get out a little deeper and hit the depository. Hang in there man - your time is coming (yet again).

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man, I am happy to just be out there ha. Heck if I have a slump this summer in Spanish silver only to be repaid in the fall on land I think I could live with it.

The sword hanger/clip is interesting. That was the last target I dug so will need to go back there and check around some more as maybe the rest is there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread