tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are a few pic's I took on a trip to Nye, Montana and back last night. I left Monday afternoon from home and made it to Buffalo, Wyo. and headed out the next morning as the sun came up. I had a little time before I got to Columbus, Montana where I needed to get a pass and a little site training there in order to be allowed to visit the mine-site the next morning, so I took a little side trip to visit a national monument called Pompey's Pillar on the Yellowstone river. The monument is the site of where the only evidence of the Lewis & Clark exposition can be found today where, on July 25, 1806 William Clark inscribed his name on the rock face. The next morning I was up early to make a meeting at the mine in the Bear tooth Mountains and when I was finished I made the trek all the way home putting all 620 miles behind me. The trip going up was hot and in the 90's the whole way, but on the way home the cooler weather began to move in and it was rather nice driving with the window down and watching the large storm's coming in from the mountains and lighting up the sky going south on 25 in Wyoming. I wonder what Lewis & Clark would think about how we move around in todays world? There was a retired school teacher up top of the monument and he went over copies of maps and read some of Clark's journal of from the day he was at Pompey's Pillar 213 years ago and in it he described all the landmarks he could see from the top, but one entry was below between the cliffs on the other side of the river was a gap that he at one time watched a large herd of Buffalo and Elk coming to that gap as it was a place they could get across the river. He described also that following behind these herds of Elk and Buffalo were a pack of wolfs that knew the herds would be held up as they crossed the river. I thought about how wonderful a sight like that would be to witness, but these days there a bridge at the site and all you'll see these now are the many vehicles we drive today coming to that spot to get across the river.

Attachments

• trip 082119 1.jpg
    trip 082119 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • trip 082119 2.jpg
    trip 082119 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • trip 082119 3.jpg
    trip 082119 3.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 50
  • trip 082119 4.jpg
    trip 082119 4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
  • trip 082119 5.jpg
    trip 082119 5.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 56
  • trip 082119 6.jpg
    trip 082119 6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • trip 082119 7.jpg
    trip 082119 7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Such beautiful photos! :occasion14:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that when you live not too far from these places you take it for granted. I have driven by Pompey's Pillar so many times, but have not walked up to the site. I have always wanted to check out the rims along the Yellowstone River near it.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that when you live not too far from these places you take it for granted. I have driven by Pompey's Pillar so many times, but have not walked up to the site. I have always wanted to check out the rims along the Yellowstone River near it.
I wished I had more time to swing your way and have a look at that rare find of yours, but I had an obligation down here yesterday I had to get back to. I know what you mean. There's so much of my home state I've not taken the time to check out. It cost $7.00 to enter the pompeys pillar park, but it was worth the time. It's not a big park, but I thought it be worth it to have a look at the physical evidence of this historical event that took place in our country 213 years ago. The mission of Lewis & Clark was like the mission to the moon of our time. I sure would have liked to see the west as it was back then as they witnessed it. Maybe some day they'll be a national park on the moon and folks can have a look at what was left by the Apollo missions 200 years from now.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great shots..... a "pause" moment(s) for sure! ╦╦C

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been on a vacation 10 plus years I forgot how awesome a lot of places like that are I guess that's the price to pay for being Dad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions