Quiet a 8HP Honda

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've probably asked this question before, but I cannot find the discussion. What can be done to quiet down the 6 and 8hp honda motors. I work in a close quarters bedrock canyon, and the noise kills my ears. Is there anything that can be done to quiet those motors down? I remember Hoser John saying he uses a special muffler for his briggs, but what about hondas?

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Putting a 90 on it and pointing your exhaust straight up will help a lot but if you are running an air compressor, be very careful, you will need to extend your compressor snorkel well above it

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What can be done to quiet down the 6 and 8hp honda motors. I work in a close quarters bedrock canyon, and the noise kills my ears. Is there anything that can be done to quiet those motors down? I remember Hoser John saying he uses a special muffler for his briggs, but what about hondas?

working in close quarters in a bedrock canyon may not help but heres some things that you can look into small car (low tone ) muffler or go to a farm supply store and pick up a small tractor muffler.

just my .02 cents

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read that if you can find a generator that uses the same motor that you can use the exhaust and airbox from it to help quiet it down a bit.

Last edited:

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What if you use a 90 and run your exhaust in the water? A lot of jet boats do that around here.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called a LOW TONE OR NEWER SUPER LOW TONE MUFFLER. They've been on my equipment-all- for many years as silence is golden. They were developed in response to gardners making a racket. So to facilitate the new city/county/state noise ordinances they were developed. Nothing but a very low tone sound that doesn't carry far at all. Silence is indeed golden in todays society of ignorance. EZ to mount as same 2 bolts and hardware=5 minutes to paradise :headbang: John

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What if you use a 90 and run your exhaust in the water? A lot of jet boats do that around here.

The problem with putting the exhaust in the water is when you shout the engine off and it cools it pulls water in to the head. Big costly OOP's

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The problem with putting the exhaust in the water is when you shout the engine off and it cools it pulls water in to the head. Big costly OOP's

Hmmm very interesting. I guess you could put a one way flap on but it sounds like Hoser already has a better solution.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions