Quitting?

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
I am sure something like this has been posted before but I guess it was before my time. No reflection on the various posters but I've read where folks are leaving Tnet because they are frustrated, their feelings are hurt, etc.

And in the end it appears they get what they really wanted; support, assistance, reassurances, etc. So my question is.......

If one wants support or reassurance, why don't they just ask for HELP? That's a lot of what this site is all about; helping others with information, sharing finds and receiving the comments that keep us hunting, and on and on.

I sense the ones that really want to quit just.......QUIT. I for one will ask for support or whatever when I need it; some of the replies will be what I want and others will be...well...maybe what I don't want to hear.

I guess I'm saying...get to the point and we'll all respond.

Sorry for my editorial :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't have said it etter myself wesfrye53.

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Thanks Jeff...was a little hesitant to post it....didn't wish to hurt anyone's feelings.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I agree with you...Ask for help.

I know that the most frustrating part of this hobby for me is the lack of older finds for me. I see all the cool stuff that people are finding all the time on here and it's like...WTF, Why cant I find just even one little Barber coin. I am looking in the right places, I know that much.

Then I realize that T-net members come from all over the world. They may live in small towns that have 1 or 2 people swinging detectors vs. the hundreds of regular detectorist here in Portland. Finding one silver Rosie or one keeper coin in generals makes for a good day here. But in some places, finding 5 silver coins in 1 trip out may just be OK for them. It all has to do with numbers....

Number of years your spot has been around...
Number of people detecting your spot...
Number of people that have detected it in the past...
Etc...

I also get frustrated when I am not find keepers....I'm like WTF???? All these people on T-net are finding old silver, colonial coins, relics, buttons, and all the good stuff. But I am finding clad and the occasional Wheaties. Then I remember that these parts have been hit very hard by people over the years. Did they get everything, of course not. However, they did manage to get most of it. Not to mention that the coins we are looking for are deeeeep and are not screaming anymore. In the last 9 months of detecting, countless hours of swinging the coil, I can only remember 3 coins that I found that screamed out to me that weren't clad. The rest of them I had to dig to china to recover.

It all comes down to practice, practice, practice. Go to the places that have old coins if that is what you are looking for. Stop ordering taco's from the Italian restaurant and order them from the place that you are going to get tacos from, the Mexican restaurant. Just remember these words, the words that I hear all the time when I get a bad attitude or feel like giving up because of the lack of finds......"It is what it is"! If you are unhappy, practice. If you are still unhappy, take some time off and get back to the books looking for new spots. If you are still unhappy, maybe you are in the wrong hobby!

Anyway, sorry about that rant...Just my personal opinion ;D

Storm (aka, the guy that spent 4 hours hunting today in pre-1900's parks and found 1 frigin wheatie) "It is what it is"!

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
good post west, some folks no matter what you do, are going to whine and cry and make excuses for whatever, they expect you to coddle them, or be able to read minds or automatically sense their demands or something like that.

With a group this size, you can't avoid it really, Ive seen it in so many forums on all different topics I have to say its pretty universal. There will always be the drama queens who will throw their grand footstompers, take their toys and go home the moment someone disagrees with them on an issue or doesn't spoon feed them or whatever set them off.

I personally love the keyboard rambo's with the parting shots as they run out the door.

You are correct though, for the folks who do ask, they generally get help, if they are willing to first ask for it, and then accept what is told to them whether it's flowery or not. Sometimes folks don't get the answer they want, but rather, are told the truth, and it stings, and they get bent about that and say nobody wants to help them, or that everyone is mean to them, etc.

If someone wants to leave, there isn't much that you are going to do to stop them. Just have to accept that you can't please everyone and keep offering the help when you are able to give it. For those who wish to take advantage of your knowledge, and the knowledge of this entire community they will take it, those who don't, won't. You can lead a horse to water......

Oh and storm, you want to complain, you should have heard me after I raked my digging shovel across a wheatie that would have been worth about $80 bucks, and I made it worth precisely one penny >:(

You understand too I see.... it is what it is
aaron

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great post Wes and I agree. I dont think that there has ever been a time on Tnet when most of us didnt rally around a fallen comrade , try to help someone who was hurting or help out a newbie.

I cant count the times that generous hearted people here didnt send a word of encouragement or support when I needed it the most.

I think there are some people who were reached out to that didnt accept the help or advice and they have left. I think there are also those who are flash in the pans here...if they dont get their daily rush of applause then they too fade away.

Detecting is hard work. I was looking for relics,researching history ,searching old homesteads and bottle hunting long before I owned a detector.My enjoyment came from finding old towns and houses and whatever I could eyeball, plus the historic relics I picked up. When I got my detector it was like a cherry on the icecream.
I am just as thrilled when our New York friends dig up colonial coins or our California Tnetters find gold nuggets as I am digging up my rusty relics. :)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Another good post....I hunt because I want to...Quitters are quitters there always will be. I really think some do not realize this hobby takes 2 main things time (which a lot lack) or effort (which some are not willing to give). ;)

Tired of people who get their detector do not even read the manual, then cry it does not work!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
WHAT?! I have to read a manual and actually ASK for what I need??? Sheesh! I quit! lol NOT...you guys are stuck with me!

Very good post Wes and I certainly thought the comments were well stated as well! We are all lucky to have such a supportive and helpful site to come to! :D

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
I have found everyone here to be very supportive and encouraging, and it has come to the point with me, if I am sitting around the house with free time....I go somehwere and hunt.....the thrill of the hunt is what makes this hobby so great....finding history buried under your feet, sure I complain when it's hot like it is now....but I adjust my hours to morning and evening......and fall is just around the corner :)

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Ascholten said:
Oh and storm,  you want to complain,  you should have heard me after I raked my digging shovel across a wheatie that would have been worth about $80 bucks, and I made it worth precisely one penny  >:(

You understand too I see.... it is what it is
aaron

Tell me about it LOL  I turned a nice $25 Silver Dime into a melt value coin....UUUGGGHHHH!!!!  ::) ::) ::)

IT IS WHAT IT IS!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Somebody hold me...
come'r wrap dose meat hooks around a pal

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Sharp, concise, and to the point. The problem is very many of the user´s feel embaressed to ask for help, they think it makes them less of a man. Well that´s stupid, no one can be clever at everything (Although I try), so if you´re having problems, assembling something, programming it, or just the settings on an old detector, ask, no one will belittle you for it, everyone has been there at sometime, don´t let them tell you otherwise.
I was doing ok with my GoldMaxx Power, but got a DVD called XP Explained from the Norfolk Wolf, and everything went even better.
For me, I prefer machines without TV´s (LCD´s) on them, but that´s my preference, what is best for me doesn´t have to be good for you.
My Favourite machines are Red Heat XD 17 Micro, XP GoldMaxx Power, and XP GMaxx 2, but a lot of people don´t get on with them because they´re not prepared to ask for HELP when they really need it. HELP saves you a lot of grief in the field, where it counts, so ASK !
So, that´s my bitching done for today.
HH Ray

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Wes, thanks for the post and it was well written. I started this hobby about two months ago but have been wanting to do it for a long time. When I decided to get in my wife thought I lost a few screws under my cap thus my name. I am only finding clad and my oldest coin to date has been a 1934 Buffalo Nickel. Let me tell you I am happy with clad and have also found some jewlery but no diamonds or wedding bands yet.

I didn't realize how much work (if you want to call it that) is involved in scanning and digging to find treasure. Yet I need to get my fix like most of us. At first I was slow to ask for help but realizing this site is open to newbies and someone will always answer your question or give you tips. I have always felt welcomed and still do. I know I will still have many questions to ask and hopefully help out someone as I become more experienced. Each trip out is a learning experience with rewards sometimes and getting skunked other times. I always make an effort to not get skunked and even a penny find keeps the streak alive.

As someone said, "when people take up this hobby they sometimes find out it isn't what they thought it would be or are just not cut out for it". People will come and go and that is just the nature of this hobby.

HH All
Roy

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Each trip out is a learning experience with rewards sometimes and getting skunked other times. I always make an effort to not get skunked and even a penny find keeps the streak alive.

Roy, I thought this was a very true and appropriate comment ;)

S

stefen

A person announcing that he (or she) is quitting for what-ever-reason is like a semi-serious suicide candidate...looking for sympathy by doing their Florence Nightengale act.

If you have a problem with the people or the TN, then quit...someone else will fill the void and you will never be missed.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
stefen said:
A person announcing that he (or she) is quitting for what-ever-reason is like a semi-serious suicide candidate...looking for sympathy by doing their Florence Nightengale act.

If you have a problem with the people or the TN, then quit...someone else will fill the void and you will never be missed.

Ahh the sensitive side came out...just kidding! ;D

Another fun post...treasurenet always seems to have the best posts... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread