Quitting?

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
There are many good reasons stated in this post as to why people ask support and then quit. I think another reason is because before someone gets into the "addiction", they see all the post of what others are finding, they read the brochures from the metal detecting companies that show all the treasures waiting to be found. They read stories of lost treasure or hidden caches just waiting to be found, and they think, I can do that. Then they go and spend good hard earned money on a machine that should just turn on and start finding all that good stuff. They have never heard or thought of the actual work that goes into this "addiction". They never knew you had to dig a thousand pull tabs to find that one good gold ring, or all the shredded aluminium, or any amounts of junque that you have to dig for every good find. This holds especially true with the older places to hunt. I mean, from all they have read and heard, this is easy money. As soon as that bubble gets burst, all the fun is over. Their dreams of fame and fortune were a waist of hard earned money.
Those of us who do it are of a special breed, like fire fighters, cliff jumpers, or any other hobby or trade that most people are just not cut out for. It's the thrill of the hunt, the getting away from civilization and problems that go with it, and a way to relax and hopefully come away with a little something special to show for it. From relic hunters, to clad hunters, it's the hunt, it's in our blood. Not everyone is cut out for this and I think a lot of people are mislead into this "addiction" by only seeing the good side of it. Everything good comes from a lot of hard work and patients. Nothing comes easy.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Usually a person will leave or want to leave because of one or two individuals that "attack" them. You can have 99 positive replies and one "attack" and all you will remember is the attack. I suppose if enough people came to your defense that would heal the damage. But you still might have a little scar and you ask yourself - "why do I need this?".

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
People come, people go. That is just the way it is.

The sad fact of the matter is you cant find stuff if your detector is gathering dust in a closet. It requires going out there and getting dirty.

There is plenty of information on this site to help almost anyone.

Personal attacks and fights are just part of the Internet world. Yes there are some jerks here, but there is several really helpful people that hang out here.

If you feel you are being attacked, report it to a mod or just do not take it personally.

If you need help search the site and then ask. Most people here are happy to answer questions through email or PM's.

But if you are going to quit, just quit!

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Great post

I for one can honestly say,that i have over 150 posts so far and I still consider myself a newbie,I'm new to the whole md'ing hobby and still have so many questions daily.
When i first joined Tnet i was hesitant to ask any questions fearing that I'd feel foolish or maybe even labeled an idiot,after a few days I got over all that and realized that at one time or another everyone here was new to this hobby and in my same shoes,that said I use the forum as a tool to better my knowledge,make new friends,get answers to things I do not know,and plain just waste time when I'm not hunting trying to better my odds in finding good stuff.

Sure a few of my posts were not promptly answered or maybe not the exact answer i was looking for,but after I'd let my question stew a while,after a bit of time there was loads of helpful info.I have never had a comment that didn't help me out in one way or another.I feel it's my lack of knowledge,my ability to ask a question,and a Lil bit of Patience for a reply from people who have been in the hobby for a while that leads me to go about md'ng in the right way.

It's the people here that give me the motivation to go out detecting without getting discouraged,knowing tomorrow will be a better day that the last,lastly I find it very hard to give up on something that i love doing and actually pays you back...WHATS BETTER THAN THAT

~shawn~

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Montana Jim said:
UnEarthed... How's it going there in my old stomping grounds?! Research been good to you??

Great Montana,Every outing I'm getting something better than the last finds,still havnt stumbled on the mother load yet but hey tomorrows another day,and maybe today will be the day I find an SLQ,IH,or something sweet like that.

Thanks for asking Jim
~Shawn~

Jim West Pa

Aug 14, 2007
Mamont Pa.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Geeesh. does this mean i hafta be an idiot fightin a fire in Shawn's shoes and jump off a cliff wit piggman while i'm huggin Montanna Jim to git accepted here? LOL.
Allthough i tried to figger this website out months ago i finaly recently got it and in and jist been kind o' lurkin and postin a bit off and on but i've seen handsdown that there is a buch o' big ole good folk here.

As far as not findin "treasure" or gittin rich from swingin the coil...Dang, if i wake up it's a good day and everything else is jist part of it. I don't care what i'm doin, if i'm alive and know it, i'm enjoyin it.
Jim
do i reeeeeally hafta read my manual ? ??? :-\

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Jim West Pa said:
Geeesh. does this mean i hafta be an idiot fightin a fire in Shawn's shoes and jump off a cliff wit piggman while i'm huggin Montanna Jim to git accepted here? LOL.
Allthough i tried to figger this website out months ago i finaly recently got it and in and jist been kind o' lurkin and postin a bit off and on but i've seen handsdown that there is a buch o' big ole good folk here.

As far as not findin "treasure" or gittin rich from swingin the coil...Dang, if i wake up it's a good day and everything else is jist part of it. I don't care what i'm doin, if i'm alive and know it, i'm enjoyin it.
Jim

Its like anything else...I think reading the directions is a good idea! :D Kind of...lets you know what is going on...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim West Pa said:
if i wake up it's a good day and everything else is jist part of it. I don't care what i'm doin, if i'm alive and know it, i'm enjoyin it.
Jim

I'm with you, I think just waking up on the top side of the grass is a good start to any day.

Jim West Pa

Aug 14, 2007
Mamont Pa.
Detector(s) used
DFX
DFX-Gregg said:
Jim West Pa said:

Jim

Its like anything else...I think reading the directions is a good idea! :D Kind of...lets you know what is going on...

Oh ok, ::) geesh, after 5 years now i gotta find 'em.No wait...i jist got Jeffry's book, can i jist read that one instead ?

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
As they do in England, if nothing else works, READ THE MANUAL !

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Wes,

Well said. This hobby is great, but you have to make the effort. The fun is in the research and the thrill of the hunt. This forum is a daily review for me. So many helpful tips and just reviewing what others are doing is another element of this hobby that fills in my retirement time. Much better than that other hobby I have....golf ??? ::)

BPMM

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Thanks Bed...I had to say something as I would periodically read where someone said they were quitting; a pity party asking for support. So I thought...why post a threat? Just quit! Otherwise, if you need some help or support just come out and ask for it.

I've kinda done that with some of my posts...especially the other day when I watched the rain. It's to hot here to play golf (and also dangerous) and too hot and dry to MD. I didn't post a threat that I was gonna quit because the ground is too hard, I just posted a mundane post and got some support and funny comments. Mission accomplished!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some folks learn the drama queen "act" as way to get help at an early age -- sadly they never learned to say " I don't know --let me find someone who knows more on the subject than me and ask for help" ( some folks think saying I don't know is akin to saying "I'm stupid" thus they will not say "I don't know" --a real pity because a person can not know everything --there are going to be subjects where you don't know --the being afraid of saying "i don't know" stops many folks from learning --- its sad but true-- I am smart enough to know their are subjects upon which I am basically clueless and that there are folks out there who really know it well --so I simply "ask" em about "their" subject ---most of them actually want to show off what they know about "X" to others and will happily share their knowledge with you -- amazing how well it works really --- thus I am constantly learning more and more all the time--- Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread