Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

byzanthia

Oct 8, 2011
north Dallas
Primary Interest:
Other
All proofs have the S mint mark. They are also struck twice, I believe, which means they have a mirror-like surface and are easy to tell apart from regular coins.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
byzanthia said:
All proofs have the S mint mark. They are also struck twice, I believe, which means they have a mirror-like surface and are easy to tell apart from regular coins.

All Proofs from 1968 on up have the S mint mark. Proofs from 1964 and before were made in Philly and have no mint marks. There were no proofs from 1965-1967, only SMS coins.

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should also note that in the proof 'world' there are also Cameos and Ultra Cameos. The cameos and ultra cameos look the same to the untrained eye, but the ultras have a more detailed mirrored surface. I forget where the cutoff was where they all became ultra cameos (early 90s maybe?), but technology improved so they all became more uniform. The cameos have a very mirror like surface with the face and eagle looking like brushed white metal. I love finding them, but not as much as I love finding silver.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dossier said:
You should also note that in the proof 'world' there are also Cameos and Ultra Cameos. The cameos and ultra cameos look the same to the untrained eye, but the ultras have a more detailed mirrored surface. I forget where the cutoff was where they all became ultra cameos (early 90s maybe?), but technology improved so they all became more uniform. The cameos have a very mirror like surface with the face and eagle looking like brushed white metal. I love finding them, but not as much as I love finding silver.
I think Ultra Cameo is assigned to a coin that is graded, much like they give it a PF-69 or PF-70 designation. An Ultra Cameo is really, really shiny where as a cameo is shiny. I could be wrong, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions