Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I've had my Racer 2 out 4 times, only about 10 hours total.

Coming from an Ace 350 there is a lot of variety to discern in the sounds the Racer 2 provides.

The depth I get is insane. I found a clad dime at 9 inches last time out. Must have come from fill dirt.

I love being to adjust where the tones change, as well as the tones themselves.

I'm still working on hearing good tones with junk signals. That's a good problem to have since many machines can't separate.

I need to get out more.

Any other Racer 2 owners have feedback to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelogan25

Aug 7, 2015
Navarre, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II and Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had mine out a couple of times, 2 tone, gain 50, ID filter 10, tone break 30. I use these settings in an iron infested field with GB around 40. Found a few wheat cents in the iron, still have a lot to learn but I bet it will smoke my other detectors in the iron. Waiting for my shooter coil to arrive but I hear it's a beast.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Wild Will

Greenie
May 2, 2012
Redding, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have had to upgrade everything to keep up with my Racer 2. To keep up with its depth, I had to upgrade to a longer stronger shovel & start carrying a root pruning saw. To keep up with its sensitivity, I had to upgrade to a more sensitive pin-pointer (Nokta's superior abilities far outweigh Garrett's button placement). Constantly digging both 22 shells and bullets well below my initial plugs (5+ inches down), but worthwhile as found a nice colonial flat cuff button that sounded / scored out the same. Pros: super sensitivity, unmasking ability, speed of recovery, tone discrimination - excellent depth ability in iron trash. Cons: loves small square nails laying next to a hot rock. ID numbers bounce around on most good targets. Found about a pound of gun shell brass & lead merely to produce a small handful of coins. Everything over 95 ID reading has been junk so far.

Wild Will

Greenie
May 2, 2012
Redding, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
my ten lessons learned so far: 1. try detecting your boots before heading out. Wear shoes with absolutely zero metal (eyelets). 2. Use Two Tone mode with Iron Audio backed-off while searching (deepest mode for my conditions). 3. Rein in this through-breed by decreasing Gain to under 60 and increasing Tone ID to over 30 (otherwise you are going to be digging & chasing shotgun bb's). 4. Jab the area once with shovel to break-up any iron halos and check if there may be evil lurking hot rocks. Scrape the surface clean of minute trash (R2 loves rust fragments off tin cans or barrel hoops). 5. If weak signal, shift to Deep Mode with Gain over 70 along with slower passes to get the best Target ID reading & location. 6. Dig everything with a one-way repeatable tone. 90 degree checks are good for localization (but I haven't learned any meaningful foolproof discrimination lessons from a second search axis yet). I usually pass on large objects (axe heads, ox & horse shoes) detected after raising the coil up 4 inches off ground. 7. Don't discount jumpy ID numbers, (Coins normally ring like a bell but not always). 8. Invest in the best possible pin-pointer & shovel, (you will be digging every piece of non-ferrous metal that your R2's coil passes over no matter how small {think iron needle} & how deep {think shotgun stamp at 9"+} ). 9. Revisit hunted out trashy sites, (The Racer 2 is a game changer finding deep targets under iron). 10. Plan longer hunts (given an R2 is super light, comfortable to swing, and batteries last three full days of searching hard).

Wild Will

Greenie
May 2, 2012
Redding, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Some good Racer 2 discrimination setup tips at 3/20/16 Racer 2 modes some tips PART ONE. R2 ID.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread