Rack ‘em Up

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We burned our two acre prairie patch Friday. We had a good burn. I walked out there yesterday and saw something sticking up. I thought it was a burned tree at first. Surprise! Looks like one of the big boys has been bedding in my pasture. Rack is slightly singed but a little light sanding and they’ll be fine.
IMG_4251.jpeg
IMG_4254.jpeg
IMG_4329.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4251.jpeg
    IMG_4251.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 30

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
We burned our two acre prairie patch Friday. We had a good burn. I walked out there yesterday and saw something sticking up. I thought it was a burned tree at first. Surprise! Looks like one of the big boys has been bedding in my pasture. Rack is slightly singed but a little light sanding and they’ll be fine. View attachment 2139499 View attachment 2139497 View attachment 2139500
Nice burn. Did that myself this year. That singed look is awesome. I'd leave them like that. Might be on to something

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good find, kind of liking the singed look also.
The left antler Is the tip broken, or just a deformity?
No breaks. The burned areas were kind of oily sticky. I tried laquer thinner first but it didn’t help. They also smell burnt. I sanded the nasty off of this one. I’ll use potassium permanganate to blend in the sanded areas.
IMG_4330.jpeg

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding
Congratulations on your beautiful trophy

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Toddspoint

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belonged to a local Pheasants Forever chapter for 25 plus years Some land owners did controlled burns The first time I ever saw one done I thought OH NO we have destroyed this guys habitat I went about 5 weeks later and was amazed at how it was growing That burn allows many seed to germinate and also kills a lot of undesirable junk to be destroyed The warm season grasses that Lewis and Clark encountered where the result of natural fire creating the habitat and those grasses where the primary food source of the millions of Buffalo .Which was the number one food source of the expedition Warm season grass is promoted as nesting aeras for bird My experience is that it is a preferred bedding cover for deer That set of antlers shows the kind of deer that likes the heavy cover the are prone to bed in .Very nice set of antlers Good eye for spotting them laying in the burned over field Now you have something to think about until fall gets here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread