Railroad buildings

oravikmatt

Nov 8, 2004
Dahn Tahn Pittsburgh, US of A
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-X
I work on the railroad here in SW PA and there are alot of old railroad buildings along the way (control towers and stations) that have been long abandoned. I was wondering if anyone had thought to hunt around areas like this. There would be lots of junk iron to deal with but could still be fun. If you did hunt on RR property you would have to be careful. You could get kicked off but as long as you're not on the tracks playing chicken with a train you should be ok. We rarely report people on the property unless they are actually doing something wrong.

-Matt.

G

goldchuck

We used to have an old RR depot in our town and an old huntin buddy of mine made alot of good finds there in the 60's through 80's when the old building was torn down and tracks were taken up along the entire Rock Island RR. Researching some old city fire maps we discovered there used to be an old hotel situated directly across the tracks from the old depot in what is now a vacant field. Have found a few wheat and indian head cents there and alot of melted metals of various kinds indicating the hotel burned which we later confirmed. I did find a very ornate silver "something" (looked like a gate top ornament) which I sold a long time ago. These are surely good areas to hunt. Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread