rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Miles of Idled Boxcars Leave Towns Singing the Freight-Train Blues

FEBRUARY 23, 2009

As Slumping Railroads Run Out of Parking, an Indiana Hamlet Is Divided by Wall of Cars

railcars.jpg

By ALEX ROTH

NEW CASTLE, Ind. -- Folks here figured the mile-long stretch of a hundred-plus yellow rail cars, which divides this small town like a graffiti-covered wall, would leave soon after it arrived.

That was a year ago.

"They stayed and they stayed and they stayed," says Bruce Atkinson, a local resident. "Then more moved in."

Tens of thousands of boxcars are sitting idle all over the country, parked indefinitely by railroads whose freight volumes have plummeted along with the economy. And residents of the communities stuck with these newly immobile objects, like the people of New Castle, are hopping mad about it.

Dennis Duffy, Union Pacific's executive vice president of operations, says that in a healthy economy, the railroad might have 5,000 to 8,000 cars in storage. At the moment, it has 48,000 idle cars, he says, forcing it to come up with "unconventional solutions." It has parked them on 60 sidings around the country.

I guess it's becoming more difficult to hide the collapsing economy.
Do yah think folks will get it soon?

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
I know of one enterprising individual who used a bunch to make
apartments near Texarkana .

It was my first time there to visit family, they took me out to see
the sites and I saw a sign advertising them, I wouldn't have believed
it had I not seen these with my own eyes.

Must be fun during a hail storm. :wink:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Betcha they'll find a good use for those box cars soon enough....

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions