• spikes.jpg
    spikes.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 420
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
We Up North Wisconsin folk dont usually have to hunt for our railways...figure if we see a train moving, the track must be pretty dang close....LOL

Seriously you made a great find, and I know the research was part of the fun, making your end find even more enjoyable.... , those spikes arent light..must have made a heavy haul home...
Congrats !

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We never claimed to be smart down here. Good advise. Keep warm up north. ;D ;D ;D

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
ID,

the search, hunt, is more than half the fun. Got to love history.

Good job.

have a good un...........

D

debid

When I read "Sumner Cowley " I just knew you had to be in Kansas. I'm right here in Emporia. ;)

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome debid this is a great forum. Post your finds. Some of you talked about dates. Mine are very rusty and I am not sure what I am looking for.

LW HAWK

Nov 10, 2005
This is my first post, I normally just read others posts and research. I hadn't thought about the date nails for many years until Jake Phelps mentioned them, I lived close to a Santa Fe railroad in southern New Mexico in the 1960's. Even then I had heard about the date nails. Well, one HOT summer day I was out looking for some buried stuff and encountered the rail line blocking my path; I decided to walk the line for a while. The date nails are driven into one end of the ties, they are 1/4" diameter x 2 1/2" long with a 5/8" diameter molded date head, with the last two numbers of year date. Since I was going to try and find the oldest nail, I walked about 2 miles and I pulled 11 nails. The oldest is 1928 (28) and the youngest is 1947 (47) with several of the 1930's in sequence. Thanks for the memory, I'll go put them back in the little treasure closet and check on them in another 40 years.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That all sounds good, the research then the hunt. HH, Mike

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
what swr said, usually within 30 feet or so off the side of the trackbed.......saw a black glass one sell on e-bay for about 3600.00.....at the least a buck or two each, a little lighter than a rr spike too.......look swr we finally agreed on something..bound to happen sometime i guess .........have a great day........................gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread